What's new

How would you compare Solaris to The Matrix (+reloaded) (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I simply "buy" the actors (unknowns to me) in Tarkovsky's version over Soderbergh's...Clooney is too recognizable (for me) for a role like Kelvin...though it is admirable that he did it. I like both versions and I enjoy Tarkovsky's indulgent style, though I do appreciate the leaner Soderbergh version as well. I wish there was a good translation of Lem's book that I could read; I've heard that English translations have been notoriously bad for this one though, so I've avoided it thusfar...

Maybe I should learn Polish? :)

-Dennis

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I think that part of the problem with the translation is that it is translated from the French version, which was translated from the Polish.

I think that the book is excellent and better than either version of the movie.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I suspect some loose thematic parallels could be drawn between the subject matter of The Matrix films and Solaris.

At the end of Soderbergh's Solaris...Clooney's character apparently finds himself immersed in an artificial version of his life back on Earth (with hints that even he himself may be some type of simulation). In a choice akin to Cipher's in The Matrix, Clooney seems prepared to accept this happy, but unreal, existence.

Come to think of it, I'm reminded a bit of A.I. as well. Anyhow, just a thought.

--Jefferson Morris

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Soderbergh's SOLARIS is pretty bad. The ideas in AI and MATRIX RELOADED are presented in a more compelling way because they're not always telling you how smart they think they are (well, MR does this to an extent, but there's more going on in it than that.) SOLARIS is the biggest example of foregrounding-of-subtext I can think of. There's nothing rewarding about reading into a fiction that wears its philosophy so prominently on the surface.

Mark

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the focus of Reloaded is quite the same as The Matrix. Certainly we see some similar themes since they are the same storyline.

But Matrix was about both personal identity and what is reality. Reloaded on the other hand is focused on the debate between freedom of choice and determinism, which is something that the first Matrix didn't really directly address at all. We only heard the ideas that their was destiny, fate, or at least prophecy, but nothing suggested an utter lack of freedom of choice as happens in Reloaded.

Jefferson, I agree with that similarity (Solaris ending) and in fact its depicted even more obviously in Tarkovsky's version. And one of the cool things about art and discussions of it is that this comparison naturally leads to a reversal in which we might then question what sort of freedom of choice Kelvin had in Solaris since it is a problem for characters in Reloaded. How much control over his choices did Solaris have if it could present such an ending position?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, because cow protagonists with the collective IQ of a spoiled mango would fubar the whole script obviously!
Having watched the Animatrix I think it clarifies that such an option would not be nearly as emotionally rewarding for the machines. The position they have humans in goes far beyond just a cold, mathematical solution to an energy problem.

And I think such attitudes are also hinted at in both films.

The machines have a desire to oppress their oppressors and are completely linked to humans in their behaviors and choices. Reloaded definitely does not mince words when it comes to presenting this concept as we have at least 3 speeches identifying the interdependency/connection between the two.

John Doran

Screenwriter
I am still of the opinion that Solaris, Tarkovsky's version at least, requires more active thinking while watching the film to make sense of.
maybe that's just because tarkovsky's version is uneven and muddled. i mean, all i'm trying to point out is that the value of having to "make sense" of something is not self-evident: it could mean, for instance, that the director was just really bad at conveying a simple message. or that the director's thoughts themselves made no real sense.

of course, if you think that "making sense" of a film has got something to do with identifying issues raised by the movie independently of any artistic (i.e. directorial or authorial) intent, then i would say that the themes of solaris are. in fact, simple and straightforward.

but that's beside the point - it's answering the questions a movie asks that is the hard part, and i maintain that TMR asks more and more difficult questions than either version of solaris.

whether or not those questions are compelling to you is another story.

- jd

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Jefferson, I agree with that similarity (Solaris ending) and in fact its depicted even more obviously in Tarkovsky's version.
It's been ages since I've seen Tarkovsky's Solaris. I was an adolescent at the time, and the film more or less put me to sleep. I plan to revisit it soon. And for the record I enjoyed and admired Soderbergh's rendition.

It's nice to have an opportunity to discuss anything Reloaded-related outside of that imposing mega-thread. I just don't have the time to read through all those messages.

I enjoyed Reloaded greatly, though its pacing is not as fluid as the first film, and it wears its thematic preoccupations somewhat awkwardly on its sleeve in comparison. I'd call it a more demanding film than the first, although that isn't necessarily a compliment.

--Jefferson Morris

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
If your talking the russian solaris;
I kinda knew that the movie was good even though I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it (and I have problems sleeping)I think I need to try again but I'm not holding my breath.

Fav. Scene - 5 minutes of the camera following a taxi on the highway.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Many things affected the way the first Solaris was made:
1. Style of the director (Tarkovsky's signature is all over this one)
2. He saw 2001 (and decided to make a film that was not like that at all)
3. Budget (Soviet Union in the early 70's, need I say more?)

I will admit to having fall asleep when I first saw this, but when I got the Criterion version, the color was so much better than I had seen it, I watched it all the way through and have a better understanding of this film.
There are other knock-offs of Solaris, Event Horizon and Sphere borrow on Solaris.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, i finally got around to watching Solaris last night (Soderberghs version) and it blew me away.
i loved the pacing, the quiet...it just sucked me completely in , in much the same way that i feel things like the Matirx movies keep me at a distance and demand i admire them.
its a completely subjective reaction, but so be it.

i don't really understand how people could have had a problem with following the story here- or got lost on story points.
i never read a synopsis of the movie, but i never had any problem understanding what i was supposed to be seeing.

the film left me feeling like someone had punched me in the stomach several times during its lean running time.
i really can't think o anything else to say,just that this is one of the greatest blind buys i've ever made

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks