How would you comapre Boston to Klipsch?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kenneth Harden, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

In particular, the new Synergy series Klipsch's to the VR series Boston's.

The system would be made up of the biggest floorstanders, center, and surrounds - with my own subwoofer.

I like a lot of electronic music, action/sci-fi movies, and other stuff that is usually loud and dynamic.

As a gut feeling, what do you think is better?

I like both, but just getting some opinions!

Denon 3805 to drive it.

2. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

KH, IMO, the Boston VR series EASILY trumps the Klipsch Synergy series. The Klipsch Reference series are a more fair comparision to the Boston VRs. This was formed by my own personal audition of the Boston VR3 against the Klipsch RF5.

3. Kenneth Harden

How would you describe the sound?

I listened to Def Tech 7004's and they were muffled compared to the F-3's (yes, F-3's vs. Def Tech 7004's) - as in vocals were not clear and such.

The Bostons seem pretty clean, but how would you describe the sound?

The center and surrounds seem kinda weak using 4.5" drivers, or are they potent as *$^@?

Thanks!

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

KH, I also auditioned some Def Techs and Monotor Audios at the exact same time as the VR3 Bostons and Klipsch RF5s, but I can't recall the model numbers of the Def Techs and Monitor Audios though. All were driven by a Denon 3803 or 3805 (I can't remeber which, as this was last summer).

I didn't care for the sound of the MAs at all. Too flat, mellow, laid back and, well, boring to me. I also didn't care for the DTs. They were powered towers, and the bass was just bloated, and too loose.

The real comparision for me came down to the VR3 vs the RF5. I was amazed at how "bright" the Bostons sounded. They were also more efficient and sensitive than average. Again, maybe not quite as much so as the Klipschs, but still more so than most, so they will play louder on the the same power than most other non Klipsch speaker brands. They were not as bright as the Klipsch to my ears, but bright, crisp, and very detailed nonetheless. It was nothing like the vintage Boston sound I remeber from the early 90s. I felt bass was better on the Bostons. Both were very clean, detailed speakers.

I ultimately bought neither, but if I would have picked between the two, it would have definitely been the Bostons as I feel they would have been easier to live with in the long run for extended, non-fatiguing listening sessions than the Klipschs.

This was my own personal take on it. I'm sure others would disagree.

5. Kenneth Harden

Great input. I am not a fan of 'mellow' speakers. I want something livly (sp?) and alive, not a flat, dead setup.

I also have a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's I use for 2-channel, and they are great.

This system is for my 13' X 13' bedroom, and when I move out, the system will come with me to my first house and so on.