How would Sports look on a Toshiba 65HDX82?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I am seriously considering this RPTV. Being a Widesceen 16:9 display, I am wondering how NTSC Digital Cable Sports, namely baseball and football would look using the stretch modes on this TV.

What would be the best way to watch Sporting events with this TV? Do the stretch modes screw up the playing field dimensions and the players?

2. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

I watch a ton of sports and this is what I found. I bought a 55 inch widescreen mitsu rptv and was very disappointed not so much by the stretch modes but by the motion artifacts and "instability" of the picture for football. I could have bought an external line doubler, and may still with my new tv(sony xbr36800 direct view 4:3) but the newly adjustable doubler(or drc--the adjustments actually make a difference), the fact that it is direct view, and the smaller size make sports look a ton better on the xbr. I can only get cable and my cable looked like garbage on the mitsu(not the set's fault--55 inches of garbage in looks pretty bad).

The best way to assess is to go to a retailer that shows sports like football over the air on satellite or cable. I love how circuit city has hdnet on college football games on Saturday(or their simulated hd). People come in, see a football game in hd, and think that is what they will be seeing.

All in all, I am much happier with my 36 inch direct view for the sports I watch. I will miss the full size images and beautiful filmlike display of the 55 inch on dvds--no doubt. I made the tradeoff based on my viewing habits.

I am getting an iscan pro to demo from a local dealer so I will see if that further hones the picture and reduces motion artifacts. I have to say that I like the custom adjustments(clarity/reality--whatever that means) on the new xbr series.

3. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I own the 65HDX82 since 1 week. Last week I've listened to the US opens finale, and 1 football game on HD TV (HD decoder with sat dish) and WOW! My wife told a friend that she could almost catch a tennis ball!!
    On "normal" broadcast, it depends on the quality of the signal. Some channels are disappointing, and others are surprinsingly good.
    But I really hope that HD will become really soon (I'm dreaming) more wide-spread, because the PQ is incredible.
    I think I will buy a better jack-strap for the next football game on HD [​IMG]