How would one go about transfering all system files to another PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jul 24, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I am thinking about upgrading my PC. I only have an old IBM 300GL or something like that. Celeron 300, 4GB HD, 64M Ram. When I upgrade my PC, how would I go about transfering all my programs and files to the new PC? Is there a way to do it in one shot or do I have to reinstall everything, save everything on CD/Disc and save it on the new PC HD?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You're going to need to reinstall the operating system. It's possible to literally place the hard drive from one machine into another, boot and hope that Windows reinstalls all the hardware correctly, but it's a slap-dash way of doing it and can bring about problems.

If you buy a pre-built PC, it'll most likely have the operating system installed anyway. You'd just need to install your apps and copy your own data across.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

What I'd do is hook up your old hard drive as "slave" to the new hard drive once your computer is up and running. Then you'll have 2 hard drives hooked to your computer and all your old data will be on the second hard drive for your picking. You can then take files you want and reformat it and use it.

After successfully putting hard drives that ran on prehistoric K6-2s and Celerons into newer Pentium4 computers, I am confident that if you put your old hard drive directly into the new computer it will boot and reconfigure itself. You will have to use new drivers though. I ran windows 98SE and it'll be reconfigured quite fast depending on how many onboard devices and drivers.

What you can also do is hook the old computer to the new computer using an ethernet hub or other direct connection. Allow hard drive sharing and then you can pick files from eachothers computers and play games.

Most common is to save the files and folders on a CDR and just start fresh with the new computer and send the documents, pictures, saved games etc over with the CD. This is what I recommend, and is probably the easiest.

4. Chris Liberti

The only reason you would want to do this is if you have the exact same system (motherboard, vid card, NIC, memory, sound, etc). What you would do is get a program like Norton Ghost and make a ghost image of the harddrive.

5. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I think Ghost will be your best bet. It might take a while once you power on your new system though. Windows will see that all of the hard ware has changed, and it will have to go in and install everything. But, that is just my $.02 [​IMG]