How would I go about replacing my Hard Drive in my notebook?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 3, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have a Toshiba Satellite 2610DVD (Canadian Model. Closest US Model is Satellite 2615DVD), it has a 6.0 gig drive, its 8.5-9.5mm high, and 2.5". It has Ultra-DMA and like 33.3MB.
    I found a couple hard drives, but how do i know they're completely compatible??
    I found these two:
    http://208.158.105.29/P_968.htm
    http://208.158.105.29/P_967.htm
    What do i have to look for to make sure they're compatible? I know the dimensions are important, but hwat about the other ratings like UDMA 100 etc?
    Also, how would I go about copying all my stuff from the 6 gig to the new drive?
    Would it work if I made an exact copy of my 6gig to the new drive and put the new drive in? So then it would have the exact same files as the 6 gig but then also have the extra space? Or would there have to be some configuring of the drive to do?
    Thanks...

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

As far as I know, drives that are rated faster are still compatible, you just won't get the speed benefit. If your laptop has room for a 2nd hard drive, install it as a second, then use something like Norton Ghost or DriveImage to bit-by-bit copy your old onto the new, then remove the old, put in new

Or you could always just leave 2 HDs in there

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

To facilitate the date transfer, Nick will have to see if there's a HD adapter for the internal DVD/CD drive bay (one of our salesmen has such an adapter, but it's for a Toshiba Tecra 8200 laptop) to attach the new HD to the laptop. The problem is that these adapters aren't cheap (laptop accessories never seem to be discounted). If you have access to Ghost, that would be the ticket. Create a boot disk, add the Ghost executable on it, and run it from the floppy drive (hopefully your laptop has an external floppy drive). Just remember which is the source HD and which is the target HD. [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Patrick, im not 100% clear on what you mean.

my notebook i would think only has 1 place for a HD, so i wont be able to keep both in the notebook.

This is for my dad, and i doubt he would wanna shell out the $ to get an adaptor.

If i get access to Norton Ghost, could i just create a bootdisc with the image of the 6 gig on there, then install the new HD, boot up my computer, then run the bootdisc? Would that work? How can i put 6 gigs of info onto a floppy disc? Im not familiar with Norton ghost. Did you mean i hookup BOTH HDs to the notebook then run norton ghost? My notebook has a floppy disc drive, its inside the notebook, so i guess its internal.

is it possible to hookup the two hard drives to my Desktop computer as slave drives, then bootup using my main drive on the Desktop, run Norton ghost, get an image of the 6gig notebook drive, then run it and image the secondary 6 gig to the new Hard drive? Do Notebook HDs have the same IDE conenctions as Desktops?

Thanks alot

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Notebook HDs have miniature combination IDE/power connectors. You should be able to get adapters on the net or at a computer show. Then you can put the notebook HD in a desktop machine and ghost it.

KJP

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Computer show? Ill see if i can find it on the net. Thanks...

Edit: Okay, i tried looking around, nobody seems to have one of these! Can anybody help me find a site selling them?

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nick,
    Go to Pricewatch.
    Click on the "Notebook Accessories" (1st column in the "For Notebooks" section).
    Then look for "Adapter" underneath after you clicked on "Notebook Accessories". You'll see some relatively cheap laptop HD adpaters that can be placed in a normal PC IDE environment, and then you can use Ghost to ghost from one laptop HD to the new laptop HD. (So you'll need 2 of the adapters).

8. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

The easyest way to transfer the data from an old 2.5" drive to a new one is is with a PCMCIA adapter kit. See: http://www.bixnet.com/ezdattrankit.html I've used this type before and it beats all other ways.
    A question: Did you check to see if your computer can take a drive larger than 8 gig ? Many older notebooks can't without a BIOS upgrade and many times there is no upgrade available.
    Dave

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay thanks y'all.. i foudn a good site at the screensavers regradting this as well.. [​IMG]
    MY notebook is about 1 year old, Celeron 433 with DVD, and Win98SE. Do you think i can upgrade it?
    Also, can norton ghost copy an image another way besides direct HD->HD copy? Like can i network the two computers and copy the image like that? or use serial or parallel?

10. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

Yep, Ghost can image over a network, parallel, USB and to CD.

Maybe it hasn't been mentioned but Ghost runs from a DOS boot disk, so network is a bit tricky as you have to have the right drivers for your card. As it comes with over 100 network drivers that shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

11. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

The easiest way to do it would probably be to use a network. You should be able to get dos drivers for whatever Network card you have from the mfgr's web site.

Nick L

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay thanks...

Bad news though..> I called Toshiba Tech support, they said the BIOS in my notebook was only TESTED on 8 gig hard drives, and bigger drives may not work.

I tried a BIOS upgrade before but it didnt upgrade it for some reason.

So im thinking of going the external CD burner path...