How will the WTC attacks effect reality programming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Sep 17, 2001.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I am concerned about the safety of the participants on Survivor, The Amazing Race, and Lost. Anybody hear any news?
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

AFAIK, all of these show have completed filming, and the contestants are back home.
    I don't think this will have any effect on the future of these shows.
    I felt very bad reading about the winner in "Murder in Small Town X" though, after reading the article that was linked to here a few days ago (I believe you posted it). [​IMG]
    How much did he win?
    /Mike

3. LarryDavenport

I think Angel won $250,000 and an SUV. He seemed like a nice guy and except for the cut chick, he was the one I was rooting for. Although I hope I am proved wrong, I don't think any of the 5100 people missing will be found alive.
    ------------------

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I hope to God that this will make people realize how evil and amoral these shows are. They turn people against one another for money, sickening display!
    ------------------
    "How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
    Leonard from Memento

5. LarryDavenport

I agree John, though I have hopes for The Amazing Race (and maybe Lost) because they are made up of teams rather than individuals. I would like to see more team oriented reality shows.
    Rather than a winner take all, it should be, everyone who gets to the end gets an equal amount, and the more players that finish, the bigger the prize. The game itself could be made difficult enough that the field gets widdled down naturally through players not being able to complete a challenge, like Fear Factor.
    Something the networks, and maybe America, needs to learn is that you can be an individual that is part of a team. GO MARINERS!!! (I had to throw that in [​IMG] )
    ------------------

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I hope the recent events will put an end to these so-called reality shows. These are just manufactured conflicts, not reality.