1. I don't have an HDTV, but am considering the upgrade.

Currently I'm happy with my direct-view 4:3 + 16x9 enhancement.

I'm considering a larger HD direct-view, but would still prefer 4:3 design because of it's inherent flexibility (no zooming or stretching).

Question: How will older 1.33 ratio programs be broadcast after the looming government-mandated DTV conversion?

Will they continue to be broadcast in the 1.33 ratio that they were shot in (say, Friends).

Or will they be 'remastered' in 1.78 format like Sopranos on DVD (essentially cropped).

Since I don't know what the networks are currently broadcasting on DTV, could someone please clue me in.

If *ALL* programs will be broadcast in 1.78 ratio in a few short years, this would affect my choice of screen ratios.

I recall another poster indicating that local TV news programs were still being broadcast in 1.33 even over DTV.

This would seem to indicate that 1.33 won't be going away after 2006. Maybe?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The older shows will simply be shown in their native 1.33 aspect ratio, but on a 16x9 screen, you'll see black sidebars to maintain the 1.33 original aspect ratio (it's like that now on channels being broadcast via ATSC).

3. Sounds like you're saying the 1.33 ratio will be encapsuled *in* the 1.78 signal/screen area.

This would work well enough for those with 1.78 screens, but would be very wasteful if you had a 4:3 HDTV.

If this is indeed the future of TV, today's TV buyers should shop carefully.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have a 4:3 HDTV, and for the windowing of 1.33 shows doesn't bother me much anymore. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the set last December. I figure in another 3-4 years, I'll get another TV and by then, the choice will be made for me (only 16x9 sets will be the norm in terms of HDTV offerings).

I'm already used to black bars on the top and bottom for films with OAR of 1.85, 2.35, what-have-you. I still watch a lot of TV in the 1.33 AR, so it was a compromise I was more than willing to make, but it would be my last chance to get a HDTV in a 4:3 form factor.

Some people will stretch 1.33 shows horizontally to reduce the effects of screen burn, but I don't like watching people looking 25 pounds heavier if I can help it.

5. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Some HD sets have a 16:9 1080i zoom mode. I have seen this on some 16:9 models where I don't think it is very useful. I would guess that some other manufacturers make a 1080i zoom on their 4:3 HDTV sets.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

7. Michael St. Clair

1) 2006 won't happen until at least 2007, probably much later. Even Japan isn't shutting off analog until 2011, and they have a lot more early adopters.

2) Only ten of the eighteen different ATSC modes are widescreen, the rest are 4:3. Some 4:3 material will be windowboxed widescreen, some will be tilt-and-scan widescreen [​IMG], and plenty will be simply broadcast in 4:3 704x480 or 640x480 (both available in 60p, 60i, 30p, and 24p).

9. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Oh, you are absolutely going to see old movies and TV shows cropped and/or tilt and scanned for 16X9 quite often, I assure you.

Don't count on them being run in their native ratios on a routine basis.

12. Lew Crippen

13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Ironic isn't it, the film industry felt it needed to find a way to recapture the audience in the 50's with widescreen films and now in the next few years, TV will go all the way to widescreen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still using a 4:3 direct view set and I really want to buy a new 16:9 set. And I don't have cable either. But I'm okay to wait too till 2006 ish and see how things fall into place.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Here's something(not meaning to get too off topic), how do you convince a parent to upgrade to an HDTV Widscreen(Non Projection) set for Christmas?

They don't seem to be too concerned about the Government Mandate in two years yet, despite two of our friends already upgrading. I viewed the BTTF Trilogy on my friends set last Christmas and was blown away. Just having the letterbox fill the screen will be worth it alone [​IMG].

Now that the prices are below the $2,000 mark, it's a bit more reasonable to ask for one for Christma now [​IMG].

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

16. Lew Crippen

17. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Just remember, tell them they'll still have black space at the top and bottom when watching a 2:35 to 1 movie on a 16X9 set, just not as much as on a 4X3 set.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

semi-related question.

when watching a broadcast movie that's OAR, on a 16x9 set, what happens to the black bars? do you simply zoom the pic? i've always wondered that...

19. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer