How will digital ota signals.........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

affect ota analog signals that we receive now. As I understand it, my local abc, nbc, cbs, fox channels will start broadcasting in high def in may, 2002. I am wondering how/if this will affect my current ota reception. I do not have a high def tv at this time, but currently receive a pretty good ota picture. Will that change?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Stations will still broadcast analog until around 2006.

-Robert

3. Mike PM

Mike PM Auditioning

The DTV OTA signal is usually broadcast on a separate channel, usually in the UHF band.

Should have no effect on your analog signal.

In the Philly area we are fortunate to have all Big 3 affiliates as well as PBS on the HDTV bandwagon to varying extent. My advice is to NOT watch a true HDTV program until you are in a position to purchase the hardware. You will become obsessed!(Ignorance is bliss! LOL ;o))

With a STB once you get a certain threshold signal, the picture locks in and you get perfect reception. However, depending on your location, you may have to play around a bit with the antenna to get signal lock.

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

DOes this mean that I can pick which signal I want to receive? If I purchase a hdtv for the family room & have only a "regular" tv for the kitchen, will I be able to receive both type of signals? Which will be of higher quality?

5. Mike PM

Mike PM Auditioning

Assuming you live in an area where you get good OTA(over the air) TV reception, you will be able to get both signals, however only a HDTV monitor with a OTA STB(set top box)connected will be able to display the digital picture.
    You will most likely need to use a separate antenna for the STB and all your other TVs if both are in use simultaneously.
    The difference in picture quality is astounding. Hop on over to a local retailer and watch a true HDTV picture on a properly adjusted monitor and you will start plotting immediately on how to obtain one!
    [​IMG]