How will an HD ready TV affect the picture from my VCRs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianGC, Aug 30, 2002.

1. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm considering the purchase of and HD ready TV (Zenith C27V22 or maybe a Samsung TXM2796HF). I use my VCRs alot, I have 3 connected to my current set. Will the HD ready sets have any affect on the picture quality I see from my VCRs (improve or degrade)?

Thanks,
    BrianGC

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

well, the TV will not degrade or improve the picture. However, the higher resolution of the picture tubes will bring out the flaws and make them much more pronounced

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It'll proably reveal the flaws of the VHS format more. I strongly recommend you start a shift to S-VHS. The Colour is no better but you'll get more detail, about 400 lines, and you'll get to switch to using S-Video output which should eliminate composites cables from your system unless you also have LD, maybe? You'll likely find that the line doublers in these sets will not do justice to composite sources. They proably won't really do justice to S-Video sources but would proably do a little better. I'm presuming that these sets won't have 3-D comb filters.

You might want to consider Tivo too. This is not an easy question to answer. How good your TV service is, is also a factor, cable or satelite or broadcast? But, in general, digital sets look softer with old fashioned analog signals. Best wishes!