how will a tempest compare to a entry level SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Dec 4, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

I'm already set on making a 122L sealed tempest running off the adire ava250 but i was wondering how you guy think it'll perform compared to the shortest entry level powered svs sub

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I have a Tempest too. Mine is a 214l vented version though.

I wont lie to ya, Ive never heard a SVS before but I have heard lots of similarly priced subs. Ill tell you right now that a SVS is better than most. A Tempest can be even better.

It sounds like you are shooting for a .7 am I right? The only problem with this sealed design is that you will be somewhat limited in the deepest of bass. It will be there though, just not as loud as one designed specifically for the 20hz stuff.

3. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i just wanted to go for the simplest design that takes up the least amount of space and i was looking for punch over depth and I'm thinking sealed is the best choice, size is also a big concern since I'm in a college student size apartment, I'm aware the SVS's are ported so they will get a bit more depth and SPL than a sealed tempest I was just kinda wondering how the two compare

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think an SVS Ultra just beats an adire alignment 250W tempest. While a Tempest should be able to spank the smaller SVS's silly. Maybe it's due to the big/beefy driver the tempest has. This is just a guess because I know that the tempest's performance varies with factors such as volume and tuning.

What's nice about the tempest is you get to custom pick the cabinet look, shape, and size. Then tune the box accordingly to the application.

I remember people asking the owners of SVS the same question and each time they responded with something like: "If you can build the sub yourself, then that's the way to go."

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Exactly.
    Zane, go for the sealed. I think you will like the performance. Not to mention the building is a snap!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]