how/where can I buy......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen C Hecht, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Allen C Hecht

I hear alot about the sound & vision, and AVIA home theatre tuneup dvd's. First, are they worth anything, second, where can I find them, and third, are they easy to use? I currently have a Sony STRDE545 av reciever, Sony NC655P progressive 5 disc cd/dvd player, and Polk Audio RM6500 speakers. My new toy is arriving on Sat, Mits ws55411, and I want to make sure that I get the most out of it. Email me at [email protected]. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Having not used one before, can't tell you how good they are, but I know the one store that I got some stuff sells them online:

Video Essentials I think is older that AVIA but is in the same vein of calibration software.

http://www.avielectronics.com/web.html

Might want to check whether they are the latest revisions though, those pictures have been there for years.

Have you tried a google search on the AVIA?

here's a couple I just found with a quick search now:

http://www.dvigear.com/ovsofavdvd.html

http://www.onecall.com/PID_14428.htm

Jay

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Allen,

To answer your questions in order:

(1) Yes they are worth it. It made one of the two biggest improvements I've made to my entire system. I recommend the S&V HT Tune-up. It is only $15, and is made by Ovation Software, the same people that make the Avia Guide.

(2) You can pick up the S&V at Best Buy & Circuit City, or buy off the internet. Some rental places like Blockbuster also rent the Avia and Video Essential discs.

(3) They are very easy and straightforward to use. The S&V disc is almost an HT for dummies, it is that simple.

To get the full benefit of the audio calibrations, you really need to buy an SPL meter from Radio Shack ($35 - $50) or Parts Express ($50). Together, this will be $50 - $75 very well spent, and is a small price to pay in relation to what you have spent on your entire system. Again, this gave me one of the 2 best improvements I've made to my entire system.

Good luck.

4. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered the Avia disc from www.deepdiscountdvd.com for $36.99 w/free shipping. (5 - 10 business days) Though you can pay an extra $5 for priority 2-3 day. I didn't need it that fast though. [​IMG]

-Jeramy

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    AVIA is worth it yes. Also keep in mind that Digital Video Essentials is coming in June this year and is supposedly more geared to 480p and such. I don't know the details.

7. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit