What's new

How well would the wharfedale 8 diamonds match the marantz sr4200 (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
I am just worried because the speakers are 6 ohm and have a senstivity of 86 db.
Which means you'll be needing 125W per channel at 6 ohms in order to reproduce 105 db peaks @reference levels in a nominal 15 x 15 room. I dont know the specs on the 4200 but I think it will be just fine. Most of the time you wont even know the difference if minor compression is is taking place during the demanding scenes. Plus most of us dont watch movies at reference levels. So in a nut shell you should be fine.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The difference this causes is in requiring a higher receiver volume setting for the desired sound level. The important thing with any situation like this is therefore to buy quality.

Would I recommend stepping up to the 5200? Yes. For the extra power and the 6 channel input. But the 4200 at least has full pre-outs so any perceived power issues could be addressed.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
It should be fine but not knowing the room size, desired sound levels you're accustomed to using for 2 channel and/or HT, etc. it's difficult to say for certain. If you're in doubt step up to the 5200. With x300's coming all of the x200's should be easier on the wallet. If you're avoiding going with a 6 channel receiver because you don't need it or anticipate needing it, then maximize the power from a 5.1 selection. Spend any extra $ the step up to a 5200 or similar receiver would cost on a more powerful 5.1.

The 4200's 70W@8Ohms will likly be 85-95W@6Ohms.

Before I got my current setup, my 88dB 6 Ohm Wharfedale Emerald 97 towers were powered by an H/K 310 (60Wx2@8Ohms, 50Wx5@8Ohms). No problems in a room 17x12. Just had to put the volume up a little more than now.

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that Paul. My room is 16x12. I am not really sure how loud I want it as its my first HT. The new sr4300 is rated at 6x80 watts (8 ohms), does this mean if I run it with just 5 channels I will get 5x96 watts (approx). Also the Marantz doesn't have discrete amps so power will drop when all channels are being used. The problem is that the where I live no two store stock Marantz and wharfedale.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Dave,

Sound quality-wise I don't think you have much to fear with this mixture. The focus should rightly be on the power. You are right to distinguish between the different circuitry...it does make a difference and helps to account for a great deal of the power differential many receivers show when running in surround mode. But since your room size is virtually the same as mine I foresee no problems even with the 4200. As I said before, the 5200 (or the 4300 if it has pre-outs) would be a better long term buy simply for the upgradability. But we all have to start somewhere...both in hopefully making smart purchases and in finding out over time what is really important to us.

Good Luck.

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
THanks Paul,

I have being reading a couple of other threads about power and you seem to pop up. Anyway as the wharfedale are 6 ohms nominal and assuming the Marantz sr4200 can supply say about 100 watts into 6 ohms (this is similar to the denon 1802), wont this mean that the Marantz is capable of driving the 6 ohms speakers louder than say speakers of the same sensitivity but with 8 ohms nominal (marantz supplies 70 watts into 8 ohms).

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I think it would be wise to take a look at this if you haven't already:
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=1878
The high end models of Marantz test out very well but the low-mid receivers are going to have compromises. If the 5200 has such a drop off in multi-channel you can expect an even greater one in the 4200. Does this make it a bad receiver? Underpowered? I would say NO to the first and 'it's a relative thing' to the second.
If any receiver is going to show a multi-channel power drop off at 8 Ohms as with the 5200 then...if it were me...I would want to be presenting a 6 Ohm load to the receiver. 8 Ohms may be easier to drive but nowadays with so many receivers dropping off the power scale as channels increase, I find 6 Ohm to be preferable in many cases. As long as the demand from the speaker load is not taking the amp into clipping, I will always want more watts, not less. Sufficient familiarity with the effects of volume control is becoming even more of a requirement nowadays. Unfortunately the best way to avoid the power pitfalls is to spend more $.
I still say the 4200 will be fine with the 8's in that space. Just don't overdrive it seeking that last level of gee-whiz and you'll be Okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks