How well does late night dolby digital work?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick_Hu, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Nick_Hu

Nick_Hu Auditioning

Hi, I have this option on my reciever for late night dolby digital it says it reduces the dynamic range of dolby digital so that you can still here quiet parts while listening at low volume levels. Does this work very well? My home theater is in the basement and the family room where everyone watch's tv is right above it so I half to watch how loud I turn it up or they complain and I think im missing some of the sound effects from dolby digital listening at low volume levels so I was wondering if this would be good to use?

2. Jeff shark

Jeff shark Extra

I think it's probably receiver-dependant.

My HK AVR7200 seems to do a decent job of it, it has 3 settings, low, mid, & high (not the exact terms but you get the idea).

I usually leave mine on the lowest setting (slightly lowers the really loud dynamic peaks of explosions & stuff) just because I'll likely disturb the neighbors with my 281's & LCC otherwise.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

on my str-da4es the late night compression mode does just that. it compresses the sound. if that is what you want then it it perfect.

for those that are trying to avoid annoying the neighbors it is probably a good thing. but for me, it really is a huge annoyance. my listening preference dictates that i hear whispers as whipsers and explosions as explosions.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

If late night dolby digital mode is the same as my HK's night mode, I would say it works pretty well when using the sub in my apartment for watching dvd's, but I've never use it for listening to music.

5. Nick_Hu

Nick_Hu Auditioning

Thanks for the replys guys, Will give it a try.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I recently picked up "Pirates of the Caribbean". Good fun, midnight movie, correct? Wrong. The entire soundtrack was bass heavy, and in order to hear the dialog, the thumps went up. In order to enjoy the movie, I had to switch from the dts track to Dolby Digital (with the late night setting on). Less dynamic, perhaps, but workable.