How to wrap laminate

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndyF, Jul 8, 2004.

1. AndyF

AndyF Agent

I was going by the wood shop where I work and they were throwing out scraps of WilsonArt Black laminate. I picked up several pieces about 1'x2'.

Is is possible to wrap this stuff around a 1/2" or 3/4" radius edge?

If so, any gotchas I should look out for?

thanks,
    andy

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It depends on the grade of laminate as some are thicker than others. 1/2" is REALLY tough. 3/4" is a bit easier but still dependant upon the grade.

3. AndyF

AndyF Agent

How can you tell what grade it is? It measures almost 1/16" thick.

Do you do anything to soften it up a little? or do you just go slow around corners?

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

If its about 1/16" thick its probably the general purpose horizontal grade but in either case you need to heat up the laminate to achieve the radius.

From their site:

ANSI/NEMA LD3-2000 performance standards for formability are 5/8” (16mm) outside radii for horizontal grade postform (HGP) and ½” (13mm) outside radii for vertical grade postform (VGP). Typical results for Wilsonart postforming grade 350 (HGP) laminate is 9/16" (14.3mm) outside and 3/16" (4.8mm) inside radii. Typical results for Wilsonart vertical grade 335 (VGP) laminate is 7/16" (11.1mm) outside and 3/16" (4.8mm) inside radii. Smaller radii may be achieved depending on the postforming equipment and the degree of craftsmanship. The ideal forming temperature for Wilsonart postformable laminate grades 350 (HGP) and 335 (VGP) is 325°F in 20 + 5 seconds throughout its thickness. The laminates finish, color, and/or pattern will affect the heat transfer rate throughout the laminates thickness.