How to watch pilot(s) of Babylon 5

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Arun Vajpey, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Stunt Coordinator

I was very involved with work during the mid-1990s and despite enjoying the odd show, never got to see "Babylon 5" in its entirity. I have decided to make this good buy buying the entire series on DVD. I have started out by buying both the Pilot movies and the entire first two seasons and will get the rest soon. But my dilemma is where to start. Should I see the true pilot "The Gathering" and proceed to Season 1 or should I see the prequel "In the Beginning" first of all? My friends advice both ways and I am unsure. Please advice.

2. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I would advise against watching In The Beginning first. It will give away too many surprises. Start with "The Gathering".

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Start with The Gathering. Don't watch In the Beginning until at least Season 4 is completed.

Part of the wonderful fun of B5 are the suprises and revelations as you watch. In the Beginning assumes you already know these and as such would spoil them for you if you have not already watched the series.

After watching The Gathering, post your thoughts in the running B5 thread here where others are posting their thoughts.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=201508

Andy

4. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Stunt Coordinator

Thank you people. I'll watch 'The Gathering' first and leave 'In the Beginning' till Season 4.

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

After season 4.

Hope you enjoy it. Astonishingly brilliant show.

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I think In The Beginning gives a better introduction to the series *and* the characters than just watching The Gathering. I don't think that the secret spoiled by watching the prequel is that earthshaking to outweigh the benefits, especially post S1. In fact, I think the foreknowledge really colors certain characters in a more interesting way than the first time I watched the pilot.

7. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Interesting point, David.

I would just say, as one that has come to the show through the DVDs, one of the things I love about the show is the fact that you know that there is a lot going on, but that you don't know what's going on. I think having knowledge gained through ITB ahead of time could spoil soome of that suspense, that whole ride where you don't know where the show is taking you. And that would be a sad thing to lose.

Arun - Don't expect brilliance from the pilot. It's not. The show as a whole is an incredible feat of storytelling and televisual invention, but if you come to the pilot expecting that level of quality it will disappoint you. I don't want to overstate it - it's not awful, it's just not as good as the show actually is and became. It is definitely worth watching, and I am glad I watched it first.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi

I have just watched most of season 1.

I will buy The Gathering as soon as i finish S1

9. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I would only recommend someone watching In the Beginning as a last resort. If they've seen a few episodes and don't have the faith in the show, then I'd point them in that direction. But for someone willing to give the show a fair shot, I think it would be stupid to watch it out of order.

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Speaking as someone who watched B5 from the first airing on TV, I have to agree with he majority here. Watching ITB spoils some aspects of the mysteries that occur throughout the first 4 seasons. It results in a non-100% authentic newbie experience.

There is nothing wrong with watching ITB first, but I'd only recommend that order for sunsequent complete viewings of the show.