What's new

how to watch 3D movies on sony vpl hw45 projector? (1 Viewer)

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
hii i had the sony HW45 projector for a few years. i never watched a 3D movie in it. i wanna try it out once . how do i do it? can i play 3Dmovie from USB? What type of glasses do i need?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Unsure of USB, but a 3D capable BD player and Bluray 3D disc via HDMI

Projector Central says RF TDG-BT500A
I think Samsung 5150 RF are also supposed to be compatible, but getting active glasses to work perfectly isn't always perfect with different manufacturers

Sony (or compatible) Active RF glasses

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
Unsure of USB, but a 3D capable BD player and Bluray 3D disc via HDMI

Projector Central says RF TDG-BT500A
I think Samsung 5150 RF are also supposed to be compatible, but getting active glasses to work perfectly isn't always perfect with different manufacturers

Sony (or compatible) Active RF glasses
i have 3D blu ray player. cant i watch using a passive 3D glasses?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The PS3 glasses were the best choice for a while: cheap and worked well.

Other than that, just put the 3D disc in the blu-ray player and press play. The projector does the rest.

Playing from USB...probably not, for various reasons. If you’re this new to It, just use your original 3D disc and skip HTPC stuff. It’s much complex for 3D.

batman98

Grip
Real Name
annu
The PS3 glasses were the best choice for a while: cheap and worked well.

Other than that, just put the 3D disc in the blu-ray player and press play. The projector does the rest.

Playing from USB...probably not, for various reasons. If you’re this new to It, just use your original 3D disc and skip HTPC stuff. It’s much complex for 3D.
cant i use passive 3D glasses. they wont work at all or they might work but are not great ?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
cant i use passive 3D glasses. they wont work at all or they might work but are not great ?
No. Projectors (for home theater) don’t support polarized 3D needed for passive glasses (AFAIK). Have to use active glasses that work with Sony projectors. The PS3 glasses, when I was buying in 2016, were recommended as the best value (quality, price, compatibility).

If you want to use passive glasses, you need a direct view TV that supports passive glasses, or research the DIY hobbiyst method of passive 3D using two projectors co-aligned and synced to show the same movie (one for each eye)...

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
hii i had the sony HW45 projector for a few years. i never watched a 3D movie in it. i wanna try it out once . how do i do it? can i play 3Dmovie from USB? What type of glasses do i need?
Just have the right glasses. Any blu-ray 3D player. You might want to consider watching 3 D classics from the golden age or silver age . Even though us financial contributors will get ours early in April the restored version of Dynasty A 1977 oriental arts classic. In February the restored 1953 western wings of the hawk ,in it's original wide-screen and recently discovered Stereo sound track with a 3D woody wood pecker cartoon. In Jan 26 The 1984 frat house slasher Silent madness is going to be release from vinegar syndrome. Pre order from deep discount saved you more than amazon. The dollar store and big lots have cheap blu- ray movies including some older but modern 3D films . Oh I forgot have a silver screen polaroid filters for lens , unless they are built in.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Oh I forgot have a silver screen polaroid filters for lens , unless they are built in.
This is incorrect. You do not need a silver screen and Polaroid filters for your projector (or any projector that uses active glasses). As stated correctly by the other posters, you need a Blu-ray 3D player and the correct active glasses for your Sony projector.

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
I was reading about the projectors that use passive glasses. I was not aware that the Sony was active type. But with active type would projecting them on the wall would scatter the light and require a normal screen?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Projectors that use active glasses can use any screen. Even a white wall will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks