What's new

How to use Toshiba TV for center audio channel? (1 Viewer)

JaredBing

Auditioning
Hi all, I have a Toshiba 57HDX82 and just got my AV receiver (Onkyo TX-SR600). I will have a 5.1 speaker setup but was planning to use the TV speakers for the center audio channel until I can get a dedicated center speaker. The TV supports this function and on its back panel has a single RCA plug for center channel audio in.

Problem is, my receiver doesn't have any type of RCA connector for center channel audio out, only speaker wire connection as far as I can see. There's got to be a way to send the signal; I'm just hoping someone knows of an adapter or can help me figure out how to rig it.

The guy at Radio Shack came up with a solution that didn't work (connect the + and - speaker wires to 2 separate RCA male connector ends, then bring that into 1 connection with a Y-adapter). This made me a little bit nervous, and, um, it didn't work. (receiver made a popping sound and kindly shut itself off before I fried something).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
The Radio Shack guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

You know, if you use the TV speakers as your center channel, you have to turn the switch under the plug-in to "ON." In this case, the TV speakers will function ONLY as center channel speakers, so you'll need your A/V receiver for all TV watching.

I'd just forego the center channel for now, set my receiver for "no center channel speaker" and wait until I could get a separate speaker. You'll still get all of the sound and a "phantom" center channel, and you'll be able to use your TV speakers normally.

Jan

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
you could try a line-level converter. its designed to take speaker-level outputs (like from a car stereo) and drops them down to line-level (to feed an external amp). but i would get the matched center channel. timbre matching is important, especially across the front of the sound-stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks