How to use Sony SDP-E800 as RF-Demod

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

There are two ways to do this as I see...one is to connect the 5.1 outs to the reciever, which I don't want to do. And the other is to connect the toslink out to the reciever, but I don't have a cable laying around, so I can't check.

Am I correct? Should I go out and buy another toslink cable?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That is my understanding. You'll probably get better results using toslink and one toslink cable should be cheaper than six audio cables.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...I'll pick up a cable later today. I'm not completely sure how to "switch" the ins/outs so the preamp takes the AC3-RF and outputs through the Digital Out...but I'm guessing that I'm overthinking it, and it will prolly work with no problems.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

4. Peter O

Peter O Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

I have this unit too. Although I have yet to use it as a standalone RF-demodulator (long story, but I ended up getting a CLD-D703 which doesn't have RF out. I'll probably mod it at some point though).

I did however, hook it up and tried it for digital passthrough. Worked perfectly: optical out of LD player to digital input 1. Then optical output on the E800 (digital 3 I think). All you have to do is press the digial 1 button the front panel until it says AC-3 RF and it will automatically pass the digial signal through optical out.

Do not use the analog outputs if you can avoid it. Read some of the reviews of Google Groups for this unit. It's pretty terrible as a pre/pro as it adds lots of static and noise to analog out. However, it's the best kept secret as an RF-demodulator and digital switcher! I got mine for under $100 shipped, so I'll hang on to it for when I get RF-out.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...I got mine for exactly 100 shipped, so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I'll hook it up later.

Funny that you got the 703 w/out RF...I got the 505 without optical out, accidently of course. Any mods out there to add digital out?

6. Peter O

Precision Laserdisc has a digital output mod for your player, but it looks pretty tricky.
    I knew that the 703 didn't have RF, but I was able to pick it up locally. I originally was going to get a 606, but it was damaged during shipping so I didn't want to risk getting another DOA player.

7. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

You are overthinking it, You only need two cables, One standard audio cable with RCA males on both ends and one toslink cable and your good to go.

8. Patrick_M

Patrick_M Stunt Coordinator

I have one of these sony units as well, and am currently use the 5.1 output from it. The ac-3 fr in on the sony is a coax...can I use the coax out on the sony and not use the 5.1 out? My reciever has only optical input and my dvd player currently occupies that slot. I would prefer to use the decoder on my reciever for both my dvd and laserdisc as opposed to how it is now with the sony doing the dd decoding for my laserdisc. Thanks for any input.

9. Peter O

Patrick, why don't you plug your dvd into the optical in on the Sony? Then use optical out to your reciever. The Sony can switch between the two.

10. Patrick_M

So basically the sony will then act as a signal switcher?
    That would be cool. Thanks for the tip

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yep...that's how I hooked mine up.

12. Patrick_M

Will it also pass through the dts signal? I dont want to lose my ability to play dts dvds. Thanks

13. Patrick_M

I answered my own question. Had some free time tonight so I hooked up my ac-3 out from my ld and my coax dig out from dvd player into the digital 1 slot, and used the optical out to go to my reciever...all the signals passed through, including dts. Thanks everyone for the idea, I was using the sony to decode the dd from the laserdisc. The way I am set-up now, my 5.1 inputs on my reciever are free for any possible dvd audio down the road, plus my dolby digital laserdiscs sound better with my reciever processing the signal. Thanks again everybody! [​IMG]

14. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Ermm...not to be too much of a pleb, but exactly what kind of unit is the Sony SDP-E800? Cheers.

DS.

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It's a pre-amp with a built in RF-Demodulator.

16. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks, Matt. Now why the heck can't I find it on the Sony site? Grrr... Cheers.

DS.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Probably because it's old. I'm pretty sure it was made circa '98, and Sony doesn't have good documentation for out of production stuff.

18. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Well then, that explains it. Thanks again, Matt. Cheers.
    DS.
    P.S. I still haven't forget you characterizing me as a lucky, lucky bastard [​IMG] . How are you enjoying your LD player? Did you come across the OT?

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    Don't worry, I still think of you as a lucky, lucky bastard [​IMG]
    I'm loving my LD player every minute. I've got ~15 LDs now, with a few more on the way that I won on eBay recently. I actually got the Definitive Collection of the OT about a week before I had the player in my hands...so I've watched it quite a few times. Now since I've got the demod, I've gotta pick up the SE release, so I can check out the AC-3 track. Yesterday I watched Stargate AC-3 to test out the demod, and I must say...it sounded pretty damn good.
    I only wish my LD player (Pioneer CLD-D505) had digital out, because I can't play DTS discs. I guess I'm just going to have to get another player in the future [​IMG]
    Hope your enjoying your stuff [​IMG]