How to use Pro Logic II?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

When watching television, I find that using the prologic II music mode seems to work better than prologic II movie. Does this make sense?

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Pro Logic II music mode is meant to extract ambience from stereo sources. As such it provides more rear channel information that PL II Cinema will. PL II Cinema is meant to extract center and discrete rear channel information from Dolby Surround encoded sources. In this capacity it works quite well, in fact it works amazingly well. I do find that using music mode produces a soundstage which is not all that realistic when used with TV or movie (VHS or Laserdisc) sources.

In the end though, use whatever mode sounds best to you.

3. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Yeah you may be right about the soundstage. Maybe DPLII music sounds better because the TV stereo is not very good, or is not Dolby Surround encoded?

Thanks

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Doug, You probably think PL2 music mode sounds better than PL2 movie mode because of the added surround sound, but PL2 movie mode will more REALISTICALLY recreate what your supposed to hear.

5. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys If I remember correctly Jim Fosgate(designer of Pro Logic II) uses music mode for moives as well.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Funny thing, on my Onkyo TX-DS595 you can either use Pro-Logic II or not at all. There is no option for normal Pro-Logic decoding.

8. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Eric, PLII is an upgrade to ProLogic, it does the same thing but does it better. So there isn't any reason for your receiver to have both PL and PLII. My Denon is the same way. It only has PLII.

9. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Quite sure, Music and Movie settings only. A few mostly useless DSP settings as well. Although the TV one isn't too bad for PCM sources.