How to use My Adcom amp with a 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Dunes, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Dunes

Jeff Dunes Auditioning

I replaced my Pioneer elite receiver (that died):[​IMG] with a Denon 3802. I am very pleased with the surround capabilities of the 3802 but IMHO it really lacks in 2 channel realm.
    I want to hook up my Adom 555 2 channel amp for the mains full time, but I am not clear on how to do this. I know that I can use the multifunction pre-outs but how do I connect the 3802 to use the Adcom for the mains in all modes instead of the Denon main amp?
    I know that many of you 3802 owners have done this. Can you tell me the best way to go about it?
    Thanks in advance and what a great forum we have here!
    Jeff

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I am not a 3802 or Denon user but you are looking for the l/r pre-out(s) on the back of the Denon. Not the multichannel in, but the pre-out. Run rca cables from those outputs to the inputs on your 555, hook your speakers up to the 555 and you are set.

BTW, I think that the 555 is the best amp adcom ever made.
    2c
    good luck
    -rob

3. Jeff Dunes

Jeff Dunes Auditioning

Thanks for the reply.

I love the Adcom 555 too. That is probably why the 3802 sounds bland to me in the stereo mode. I have another concern:

If I hook up the 555 to the pre out, will the 3802's amp still be sending power internally to the main speaker jacks? I know that there will be nothing connected to them, but I am wondering if this no-load condition will cause a problem for the 3802's main amp?

Thanks again,
    Jeff

4. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

No, it won't cause a problem.
    I just sold my 555 & miss it already [​IMG]