What's new

How to use computer flat panel monitor as a HDTV (1 Viewer)

steveFarmer

Auditioning
Anyone have a DIY or link so I can use a flat panel computer monitor as an HDTV. Flat panel computer monitors are much cheaper that LCD or plasma TVs. TIA

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
With what are you trying to feed it? You could always just use an HTPC source, for instance. If you're trying to feed it from consumer stuff, you may need some signal adapters since monitors want RGB (via a VGA plug) and not much consumer equipment deals in RGB. RGB is mainly in the professional realms, and from HTPCs...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there is also DVI, which some players also output, and digital panels receive.

I'm not sure if a HDMI source can plug into a DVI interface with an adapter. I know you can go the other way (from a DVI source to HDMI).

Jason

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator

I remember a post on here about that in the past, if I remember right there are adapters to do it either way

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, HDMI works with DVI interfaces in either direction, as DVI is sort of a subset of HDMI. You will get 8-bit RGB sent as DVI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks