How to use computer flat panel monitor as a HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by steveFarmer, Mar 3, 2005.

1. steveFarmer

steveFarmer Auditioning

Anyone have a DIY or link so I can use a flat panel computer monitor as an HDTV. Flat panel computer monitors are much cheaper that LCD or plasma TVs. TIA

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

With what are you trying to feed it? You could always just use an HTPC source, for instance. If you're trying to feed it from consumer stuff, you may need some signal adapters since monitors want RGB (via a VGA plug) and not much consumer equipment deals in RGB. RGB is mainly in the professional realms, and from HTPCs...

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, there is also DVI, which some players also output, and digital panels receive.

I'm not sure if a HDMI source can plug into a DVI interface with an adapter. I know you can go the other way (from a DVI source to HDMI).

Jason

4. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I remember a post on here about that in the past, if I remember right there are adapters to do it either way

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, HDMI works with DVI interfaces in either direction, as DVI is sort of a subset of HDMI. You will get 8-bit RGB sent as DVI.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Only problem is most LCD computer displays with DVI are probably not HDCP compliant.