How to use 1 set of speakers hooked up to 2 receivers? help??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Feb 17, 2002.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am hooking up a system for a friend and need to use the "rears" as "rears" but also when they aren't being used as rears, use them to play off a different receiver that is hooked up to play music throughout the house. Is there a switch that can do this?? perhaps use a "speaker selector" in reverse, so you aren't "selecting speakers" but actually "selecting between receivers"

Any help is much appreciated, I am not very good at setting up these kinds of things.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I read both your questions - what exactly are you trying to achieve? You seem to want the speakers to play out of 2 receivers, whch are both being fed from the same source - is that correct? Let's take this question, for instance:

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

No, He wants to have a receiver go to all the ceiling speakers in the house, and ANOTHER receiver to use as the HT system, BUT wants the rears in the HT room to beable to be used with the HT system, AND when that is NOT being used-use them (the rears) to listen to soft music that plays throughout the house (via the other reciever).

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Hmmm... OK, that makes sense. Please see my response to your other thread - there are other issues with using a Y adapter running to 2 receivers. You could probably use a speaker selector to do this... and you might have to wire your speakers creatively, using combinations of series and parallel, to keep the impedance at a sane value.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I know that there are speaker selectors out there that match impedence, so that shouldn't be an issue.

6. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Niles (nilesaudio.com) makes a high-quality switchbox (DPS-1) that allows one to select between two amplifiers/receivers connected simultaneously to one pair of speakers. Possibly Sound City (soundcity.com) still sells them (about $80).