What's new

how to upgrade to 7.1 surround? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo txds797 receiver that has 6.1 channel inputs and is cabable of 7.1 using an external power amp.

currently i have a single surround back connected straight to the receiver, so i imaging i will disconnect that from receiver and connect two rear speakers to the external amp, and run a stereo audio cable from "surround back pre-out" on receiver to external amp. does that sound right?

and another question...

I am not looking to spend much money (or any if possible) so my question is if i would be able to simply use my older stereo receiver I have sitting unused in the basement? or does it have to be a "power amp".

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
.....run a stereo audio cable from "surround back pre-out" on receiver to external amp. does that sound right?
You got it!

As for using a second receiver to drive the rear speakers, I guess that it might work but it would be more of a hassle than it's worth. Calibrating your system would be a more complex than usual, and maintaining the proper volume of the rear speakers in relation to the other 5 would be a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks