how to tweak old mirage subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ron_Yeoh, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

Hi all
    Am using a 5 yr old, big and powerful Mirage subwoofer in my home theatre system but am finding the bass flabby...what can I do to tighten it up? Can't remember what the knobs at the back do..there's one for level and one for output. THanks
    Ron

2. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

Check the condition of the cone surround, make sure its in good condition. The 'knobs' are for balancing the sub with any other speakers connected to the sub. Try lowering the INPUT level. If the cone is ok, try moving it away from corners. If none of those pan out, the amp in the sub might be suspect. While the warranty on a sub might be 5 years, usually the built in amp has a 1-2year warranty.

3. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

thanks jose will try and see...

4. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

I'd pull the driver out, and take some measurements of your cut out, you can always enlarge it a little if you have to, and go to partsexpress.com and maybe put a titanic driver in there and watch that sub come alive again!! Most OEM drivers are not the greatest, with a new driver capable of more excursion and tightness, I bet you could really juice up that sub[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Thomas Dekany

may sound stupid, but is the sub calibrated? If not get a SPL meter from Radio Shack.
    Could you move it right behind the listening position?

These are my suggestions if the sub is in "working" condition.