What's new

How to turn off my Sony cd player w/ mx700? (1 Viewer)

ChuckE

Grip
I am trying to set up my Home Theater Master MX 700. My remote on my Sony SCD-555es does not have an on-off button. How can I use my remote to turn off my Sony player. Thanks. Chuck

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Chuck: Many Sony CD players could not be remotely powered on or off. Still, that doesn't mean there not a way to get control of the power issue...

Plug the CD player into one of the switched outlets on your receiver/processor. Then when the receiver/processor goes on/off, the CD player goes on/off too.

Another option is use some kind of remote controllable AC switch for the CD player to plug into. X-10 makes these kinds of things and they can be infrared controlled.

If the 1st option isn't what you want to do, let me know and I can give you more specifics for X-10 stuff.

ChuckE

Grip
Chuck, thanks for your feedback. I will try plugging into the back of the processor. Any disadvantage to doing this?
Chuck

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
None that I'm aware of. I have asked different makers over the years if this arrangement will hurt anything and always had feedback that it wouldn't. And, I have done this with a couple of Sony CD changers for several years and never had any troubles...

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I guess I should point out there is a limit on how large of an AC load one should put on these switched outlets. The outlet's maximum wattage capability is going to be found in the receiver/processor manual and probably also on the unit itself. Most are around 200 watts max or so. Your CD player is probably less than 25 watts...

ChuckE

Grip
Looked at my pre-pro and it has no switched outlets. Will have to go another route. Any other ideas? Thanks. Chuck

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Chuck: Well, like I mentioned above, you could use the X-10 setup. You be looking at around $75 or so.

Another alternative would be to use one of the switched outlets on a decent quality power conditioner. Monster and Panamax make them and both makers have an outlet or two (on most of their units) that are switched (and can even be delayed.) Prices vary from affordable to insane (IMO.)

Here's a cheap alternative. I've not used it but there's no reason it shouldn't. And the price is right... http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924031000

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Sears alternative looks interesting, Chuck. If I understand this correctly, when the "POWER TOOL" plug is used or equipment plugged to this outlet is on, it energizes the 2 acc. plugs?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yes, that's it.

I haven't checked the amperage rating of the Auto Switch but normally these kind of things are rated up to 15 amps total. So, I'm reasonably sure it would be enough for a processor AND a CD player. Talk about this switch is buzzing around the web a bit...

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Can't beat that for $20. I have the same remote and 555ES as ChuckE. Great option to turn on/off equip.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If either of you guys try the switch, please let us all know how well it works.

Daniel: You're right. If a $20 switch does the trick, we should try to get the word out. (IMO, the good part about Sears is that if it doesn't work, it's easy to return.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks