What's new

How to turn off copyguard for screen captures? (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just got my video capture/editing capable computer and I'd like to make some screen captures from some of my DVD's.

This isn't for pirating or duplication. It's simply so I can use some video clips and pictures for my dvd website.

Is there an addon or attachment I can use to get the captures correctly?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You are asking how to circumnavigate measures put in place to prohibit you doing exactly what you are intending to do, which is distribute material you have no license to do so, be it for whatever purpose.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You are asking how to circumnavigate measures put in place to prohibit you doing exactly what you are intending to do, which is distribute material you have no license to do so, be it for whatever purpose.
Screen grabs and short clips fall under 'fair use' provisions.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I just use the DVD player software built-in to Windows ME for capturing still pictures in JPG format. There's a "capture" button - pause on the frame you want and click the button to saveto file. Easy.

I assume that capturing moving video clips would require disabling the famous DeCSS protection - I don't know anything at all about that.

(Note -- I capture stills occasionally for my own amusement only, to send pics to friends, etc. Others do so for their website reviews, or to include in posts here about various subjects, etc. No copyright violations here.)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Jeff, I know you are a staunch supporter of everything the industry says it wants to protect, but people do have the right to put still shots in their reviews...

Are you suggesting that only studio approved PR grabs are kosher to include in reviews?

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
If all else fails, try a program called HyperSnap DX.

And yes, screen grabs used in critique are covered under fair use.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Typically your software player has a screen capture facility (eg. WinDVD is the "P" key and it will capture a BMP). You will need to turn off hardware motion compensation (your video cards hardware accelleration) to use it.
Interesting how many sites show screen captures considering they're illegal ;)
N

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have PowerDVD, but there's no capture feature to be seen!

It is mentioned in the manual (says to turn off Hardware Accel. to be able to capture)

Anyone know how to turn off Hardware Accelerator in Windows XP?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have an older version of PowerDVD which was originally installed under Windows '98 and still running under Windows Me.

I have seen a special version of the software made for Windows XP so you may need to download an upgrade to make it work?

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
I use Power DVD 3.0. It has a capture feature. On the control panel, just click on the camera to capture the frame. In the configuration menu, click on the capture tab, then tell it where to capture the image to (wallpaper, file, clipboard, etc.). It's really easy.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Get the free version of Hypersnap (you can a renewable free 7 day license for the older version). It's an excellent program.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
It is mentioned in the manual (says to turn off Hardware Accel. to be able to capture)

Anyone know how to turn off Hardware Accelerator in Windows XP?
If I remember correctly (I'm at work now), you have to STOP the movie and right-click on the PowerDVD screen and look for some kind of "options" or "preferences". Then look for the VIDEO preferences tab. There should be a check box for hardware acceleration.

Just remember you can't change that option if the movie is playing or even in pause. It has to be stopped.

Then to capture a screen, look for the little camera-looking button on the PowerDVD control panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks