What's new

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"How To Train Your Dragon 2" was a very solid follow-up from the initial installment. Still enjoyed the flying scenes in 3D (though I though the brightness level of my showing was a little low), and good character build-up and interaction throughout the film, and provided enough touchstone dramatic scenes to anchor the film's plotline, while providing some balance with the humor content. Hiccup is now 5 years older, and not at all excited about assuming the mantle of adult responsibilities his father has in store for him. But before Hiccup's bout with avoidance sets in, there are new dangers on the horizon, threatening the dragons' presence and to undermine the peacefulness at Birk amongst the Vikings. I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I concur with your assessment of the film. The trailer didn't do much for me, but I went to see the film anyway and it definitely was as good as the first one. It's too bad it didn't open stronger against "22 Jump Street". I guess people are just more interested in stupid parody comedies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edwin-S said:
I concur with your assessment of the film. The trailer didn't do much for me, but I went to see the film anyway and it definitely was as good as the first one. It's too bad it didn't open stronger against "22 Jump Street". I guess people are just more interested in stupid parody comedies.
For the most part, different demographic for each film. An "R" rated comedy versus a family film as one has little to do with the other targeted audiences. I'm willing to bet it will do better this week as word of mouth gets around while 22 Jump Street will see a big drop as most people don't watch comedies in theaters more than once.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. You are right. I shouldn't have posted that line. It was just my prejudice against those types of comedies showing through. I just don't care for the practice of taking a property like a TV show and ridiculing it or creating a version that has nothing more in common than a name intended to create a connection to the original property. At the least, I shouldn't have used the word "stupid" since I haven't seen the film.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FWIW, 21 Jump Street was hysterical and had a number of references both to the original show and to the fact that it was a rehash of an old TV show. Check it out if you haven't yet -- it might surprise you.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't wild about the first "Dragon" - I thought it was okay but never liked it a whole lot.

"Dragon 2" also fails to enthuse me, but I liked it more than the original. It seems a little tighter and more exciting, with better character development. The action fares better and the whole thing just seems to fit together in a more coherent manner.

Honestly, in an objective manner, they're both probably equivalent in quality, but I simply like the sequel more, even if I can't explain why in a manner that satisfies myself! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I consider the first Dragon to be one of the best animated films ever and should have won the Oscar that year over Toy Story 3. I really liked this one too and it fits in nicely with the tone of the first film. Entertaining from beginning to end. ***1/2* out of ****

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My son and I loved the first one. I haven't seen the new one yet, but according to him, it's even better than the original.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Tino said:
I consider the first Dragon to be one of the best animated films ever and should have won the Oscar that year over Toy Story 3.I really liked this one too and it fits in nicely with the tone of the first film. Entertaining from beginning to end. ***1/2* out of ****
I loved the first Dragon, but would still give the nod to TS3.
Bill Coolidge said:
Just finished seeing it. Awesome. Can't imagine seeing it in 2-D.
Yes, this movie is the exception that proves the rule that Hollywood is trying to kill 3D.

I really enjoyed HTTYD2 and so did the audience I was watching it with. There was laughter in all the right spots and quiet when it was called for. I think the film makers had a hard act to follow but they succeeded in making a worthy successor. Great film.

I noted only one slight hiccup (irony intended). Jay Baruchel, who voices Hiccup, was perfect for the part in the first movie. His voice fit perfectly a gangly kid trying to find out how he fits into his world. In the second Dragon, he's an adult, he's a man. Still trying to figure things out, sure. Baruchel's voice seemed to me a tiny bit incorrect for the character this time around. What could the filmmakers do? Couldn't replace him, and my comment is a nit, it would have been far worse to go with another actor.

I'd give HTTYD2 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Too bad it's underperforming domestically. Seems to be doing better overseas in terms of box office.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Edwin-S said:
Too bad it's underperforming domestically. Seems to be doing better overseas in terms of box office.
That's too bad. This movie deserves to be a big hit.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Dreamworks killed their golden goose with the "Dragon" direct-to-video releases and the DreamWorks Dragons TV series in the four years since the original film. There was not much build-up of anticipation, given all the interim releases.

It'll be interesting to see if The Penguins of Madagascar film fares any better, given the Nickelodeon TV series that's been playing for years.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm R said:
I think Dreamworks killed their golden goose with the "Dragon" direct-to-video releases and the DreamWorks Dragons TV series in the four years since the original film. There was not much build-up of anticipation, given all the interim releases. It'll be interesting to see if The Penguins of Madagascar film fares any better, given the Nickelodeon TV series that's been playing for years.
Disney has been doing direct to video for years. I haven't kept track, but I presume they find it beneficial. One of the people I watched HTTYD2 with was really jazzed to see the penguin preview. She's a big fan of the series. I haven't watched either, so it hasn't effected me. I would think the direct to video would drive up the interest in the franchise in the juvenile set.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Finally got around to seeing this film, and was glad that I got to see it on the big screen. Definitely better than the 1st film (which I thought, was the best one from Dreamworks at the time), and thought it filled the PIxar void very nicely this summer. In fact, I thought it was better than the last 4 films that Pixar put out, and yes, I will say it here... more enjoyable than "Frozen".

I thought the first appearance of Hiccip and Toothless with the song "Where No One Goes" was a great scene, as their way of saying "we're back!" And I like the fact that characters have aged, which you rarely see in cartoons.
Malcolm R said:
I think Dreamworks killed their golden goose with the "Dragon" direct-to-video releases and the DreamWorks Dragons TV series in the four years since the original film. There was not much build-up of anticipation, given all the interim releases.

It'll be interesting to see if The Penguins of Madagascar film fares any better, given the Nickelodeon TV series that's been playing for years.
I wonder the same for "Kung Fu Panda 3".

While I did like the Penguins in the Madagascar films, watching them on TV on a regular basis, just goes to show that there is such thing as "too much of a good thing". So when seeing the trailer for "The Penguins of Madagascar", it didn't exactly excite me, not the way the trailer for "The Book of Life" did. Well, just have to wait and see how it scores on Rotten Tomatoes to see if worth seeing in theaters.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I missed Dragon 2 during its theatrical run. But I watched it this week on Blu-Ray. The original was a complete surprise: a marvelous, fun, and touching animated film on par with the best of Pixar. I loved it.What could Dragon 2 do? It could do what great sequels do, and tell a new story building from, but not repeating, the strengths of the first. It doesn't reach the heights the my favorite sequels, like Toy Story 2. But it was excellent. And where it lacks the unexpected novelty of the first, it brings maturity to the story, to accompany the older characters. And its deep emotional ploys are earned. I'm impressed. I plan to rewatch them both. I hope for a third.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
I'm impressed. I plan to rewatch them both. I hope for a third.
I also love HTTYD, and have yet to watch the second but will soon. The third film is already in production, planned for summer 2017 release. While the domestic gross of the second was something of a disappointment, it more than made up for it worldwide with a total of $618 million (vs. $494M worldwide for the first).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zukz15
Recent bookmarks