What's new

How to test/verify USB transfer rate? (1 Viewer)

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have an idea of how I can verify the transfer speed of a supposed USB 2.0 card? It was sold as 2.0, but I'd like to check it out.

My mobo has 2.0 ports and I was thinking I could time the transfer of a large file from a jump drive to my hard drive, then do the same file to the same location through the card. The time would be a rough estimate (timer on wristwatch), but the difference between 2.0 and 1.1 should be noticeable if the card isn't what it's advertised to be. Ideally, I'd like to find a freeware app that would function similar to the bandwidth tests one can run on their internet connection and get a potentially more accurate timing/transfer rate, but I'm not if this exists.

This is for my own interest as it seems interesting rather than to call up a vendor and gripe about an $8 card. Any thoughts?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Plug your USB 2.0 drive into it, then run a test such as www.pcpitstop.com . It'll give you cached and uncached transfer rates on the drive. If it's USB1.1, expect something SLOW. If it's USB 2.0, expect numbers close to what the other hard drives in your system get.

Don't expect anything near 480Mbps, though. The PCI interface typically won't run that fast, and neither will most anything else in the box.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks