How to test pre-wired setups?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by todd<>C, Jan 22, 2004.

1. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

I live in an apartment that is wired for surround sound. One of the jacks works, but the other doesnt. I have changed the wire from the receiver to the wall and the wall to the speaker, tried different speakers and I also pluged the speaker into the wire that goes from the receiver to the wall into the speaker to see if i had it connected properly to the receiver and it worked. so this leads me to beleive there is a problem with the wiring in the walls. the apartment said it was on my end. how can i test to see if the wire inside the wall is carrying the signal besides what I have already done?

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

You can physically access both ends, right?

Twist the pair together at one end, and check at the other end with a multimeter. There should be a short or very near. To further isolate the problem, attach a long wire to each conductor in turn and measure with multimeter at the opposite end. Should still be at or near a short. One ohm is not excessive depending on the length.

3. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

Yes i have access to both ends. Not sure I completly understand your statement "There should be a short or very near". I know what multimeters are, but I am not familiar with using them.

4. Stephen Weller

Ummm...there should be very little resistance. If a speaker is (typically) 8 ohms, the wire should very close to 0 (zero) ohms. Actually, in this case, you probably only need to verify that the wires aren't broken. IOW - don't get hung up on the impedance. Just make sure they conduct.

(Removed a stupid question. I just re-read the original post.)

If you've never used a multimeter, you should probably enlist the assistance from someone who has one. We aren't all that rare. [​IMG]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

try this.

1. connect the speaker to one end
    2. take a 1.5v battery (d, c, whatever) and connect it to the other end
    3. if the speaker moves, you know you have a good connection.

this is also useful to verify which wire is positive/negative. if the polarity is correct, the speaker will "push out". if the polarity is reversed, the speaker will "suck in".

6. Stephen Weller

Ted's suggestion will work. If you can't readily tell whether the cone is moving in or out, you *will* hear it click or thump.[rant]

Thanks, Ted![/rant]