What's new

How to test HDMI connection is 4K compatible? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there an way to test an HDMI path for 4K compatibility short of buying a new, expensive display and hoping it works?

I have projector connected by HDMI over Cat5e going through an in-ceiling and wall conduit. I plan to upgrade the current electronics to a 4K-dedicated kit. My concern is I get a $10,000 projector in there, and it’s not adequate. I’d like to be able to test HDMI over Cat options with a basic (cheap) signal integrity test before a fancy new projector shows up.

Worst case, I can find out i need to get my original installer out to do some surgery and run upgrading cabling.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There’s this type device for $400.

I’m open to pragmatic solutions. If the best option is to buy a $200 4K computer monitor, fine.

Last edited:

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
If you find another solution please share it here - I have an HDMI run between where my PC desk used to be in the back of the shared PC + HT room and the front but unsure if it's too long to support 4K HDR without a repeater. I suppose I could just connect my laptop and try to push 4K HDR to the tv and see what happens?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, according to the specs, it should work just fine. I know, you want to confirm it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, according to the specs, it should work just fine. I know, you want to confirm it.
It should work (insofar as I don’t need 4K/120Hz sources). But Dave Upton has commented that he’s had problems with these type solutions for 4K.

I’m in the frustrating place of trying to think about how to upgrade to 4K, with multiple solutions, but also a very uncertain timeframe due to the unexpected and confusing options from Sony and JVC this year.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should work (insofar as I don’t need 4K/120Hz sources). But Dave Upton has commented that he’s had problems with these type solutions for 4K.

I’m in the frustrating place of trying to think about how to upgrade to 4K, with multiple solutions, but also a very uncertain timeframe due to the unexpected and confusing options from Sony and JVC this year.
I know he finds optical to be a vastly superior solution. Of course, that would require running new cables for you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I know he finds optical to be a vastly superior solution. Of course, that would require running new cables for you.
That’s not impossible — or shouldn’t be. But I think I’d need to get the installer out to do it for me. And maybe if I’m spending $5k to $10k on a projector, I should go ahead and spend another $500 to $1000 to get the installer out to run new cable, and such. Don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks