How to tell which old movies will be released by Warner - My theory

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaveK, Jun 29, 2005.

1. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

I have a theory on how to determine if a classic movie will soon be released on home video by Warner.
    This applies only to Warner, RKO and MGM movies.

If you watch Turner Classic Movies you'll notice that after they list the TV rating for a movie, the Turner logo will appear before a movie begins.

The movies that don't show the Turner logo before the movie begins are usually the movies that have been already released on DVD (Meet Me In St. Louis, Key Largo, Citizen Kane).

Movies that will be released soon on home video don't show the Turner logo either (The Thin Man movies, Bathing Beauty), and the prints shown look a million times better than the prints shown maybe 3 - 4 months ago.

Of course there are exceptions to my theory. Some movies that have already been released on DVD are prints that are far suprerior than what's currently shown on TCM. (The Harvey Girls, Bringing Up Baby). I personally like it this way because it makes me feel that I didn't waste any money buying a movie whose quality is similar to what's shown on TV.

That's my theory. I would like to hear your comments. Please feel free to test it....LOL

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That could very likely be true.

I posted another theory last year (?) I have noticed that movies that have not been on cable for years suddenly show up, and are shown like once a week or more - they often come out a month or two after that.

I like your idea though. I don't stick with TCM, but I will watch what happens at the beginning.

Glenn

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, there's usually a lag time between DVD releases and TCM airing the same master.

For example, they were still showing the pan & scan 170 min. version of Around the World in 80 Days after the complete 182 min. DVD was released. I think they switched to the DVD version a few months ago.

On the other hand, they were airing the 40th anniversary fully 1.66:1 version of Dr. Strangelove 2 weeks before Columbia released the DVD!

TCM does schedule a lot of movies to tie in with their DVD releases. Compare what they air on Mondays to the classics they release on Tuesdays. [​IMG]

4. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I agree with you. I also noticed that the Turner logo was missing on Turner Classics once a movie came out on DVD.
    I just assume they use existing tapes with the logo until new tapes are made usually in conjunction with a new DVD.
    Since Warner bought Turner I guess there is no obligation to put the Turner logo at the beginning of the picture. Turner as a subsidiary of Warners still owns the copyright. They also don't seem to be inclined to remove it from already existing tapes.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

So, which films are TCM showing at present that are neither on DVD, or have been announced for the near future?

6. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I think you're right about that. I noticed the same thing.

7. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed a distinct connection between TCM and upcoming DVD releases as well. Two of my favorite movies, Juggernaut and Cuba, forgotten 70's gems by Richard Lester, showed on TCM a couple of years ago for the first time, then soon after came to DVD.

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    For us Brit TCM viewers, the situation isn't as good. TCM shows some God-awful prints, sometimes not in OAR, never anamorphically and we have to suffer bloody ad breaks.

I have noticed the 'on TV then on DVD' situation with another cable station, Sky Cinema, who do tend to show the best they have available, and as they've been showing Ustinov's Billy Budd quite alot recently, I live in hope...

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (Columbia) had its LBX premiere on TCM a couple of months before it was officially announced. I assume that investing in a letterbox remaster costs a significant amount of money and that would signal a dvd release to justify the expense.

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

A very wise decision, as the Turner logo is without question the stupidest, most ameteurish thing I have ever seen. I was never able to figure out how a billionaire studio owner like Turner could permit such drivel to appear at the front of all those gorgeous classic movies. Big ego trip for Ted, pure idiocy for audiences.

11. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I don't think Ted had anything to do with that AWFUL logo, but one of his Atlanta underlings certainly did. When Warner Bros. was given ownership of the former Turner library after the Time Warner/Turner Broadcasting merger, you could always tell a new transfer because it didn't have that awful Turner logo at the head, but did have a Warner Brothers television distribution logo at the end.

Also, you know that any master on TCM that bears that awful Turner logo is at least 9 years old, since that merger went down in '96.

I just saw one of those newer transfers with the WBTV logo today on TCM.

12. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Very sad that the TCM version of The Yellow Rolls-Royce was pan-and-scan.

On the other hand, I recorded Ninotchka off of TCM last fall, and the print was worn and spliced, but when it came on again this last spring, I re-recorded it, and the print is flawless. So, the movie has been digitally restored in that time (which we know to be true since it's coming on DVD in August, I think).

13. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Weird that TCM would run YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE in P&S when there was indeed a letterboxed transfer released on laserdisc over a decade ago!

Someone must have pulled the wrong tape from their library!

14. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

So, Has anyone noticed any interesting titles, yet to be announced, that have been aired without the Turner logo that we might keep a look out for?