How to tell when MC1 is in Dolby digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Morgan, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I was watching DSS tonight (15 Minutes)it was in Dolby Digital and I could not tell if the MC1 was in DD mode?I have it set in TV inputs to Auto and to Optical 1 which is where the Dish 6000 optical out is connected.My Ref 30 always displayed DD7 or DD5.1 when in that mode.How do I tell?

Thanks,

Steve M.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Steve,

If I recall correctly, you should see the AC-3 effect name, like 5.1 LOGIC 7, 5.1 MUSIC, THX 5.1, DOLBY DIGITAL, etc.

Michael

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Steve,

I just checked out a movie on dss hd hbo {big momma} and the lex front panel read 5.1 logic 7 and on all the other channels it reads 2.0 logic 7. There aint a whole lot of dd stuff on dss though.

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Thanks John and Mike,You are right.I went in to TV input and reset it up and that is exactly what happened.John I have to say the video circuitry on the MC1 bests the Ref 30. DSs is so much more defined in SD. Colors are more vivid and detailed and there is just a cleaner picture is how I would describe it.Whoa! Logic 7 in DSS is worth the switch.I am hearing details in DVD's and DSS that I never picked up on the Ref 30 also the Bass is just huge.I set the speaker levels to 75db's but I am going to have to lower the subs.John, BTW what does the V4 upgrade include? Audio Buys is shipping me the Eprom board.I just wish they would have checked before they shipped. I will give a detailed review when I install the V4 chip.

Thanks,

Steve M.

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Steve, your going to have to explain to me about video swithcing because I have NEVER used this feature on any pre I've had. Does it actually make the picture better then it normally would ? I know its crazy but I haven't ever kept anything long enough to make all the video hookups worth it. This will change as the lex has found a long time friend[​IMG] me
    Myabe Shawn can answer what exactly the newer version has over the older one as I'm not sure. But your right they should have checked the version before it left. Anyway no harm no foul as they will do the right thing in the end. Also did they say it was just a chip ? I would think it is a piece of cake to make the chip switch.
    One other thing. When I recalibrated with the avia disc I had to set my sides and rears 3db higher then what the lexs internal tone was reading. Keep this in mind as this made a HUGE difference in favor of logic 7. I asked why the lexs internal tones might be 3db lower on the sides/rears then when I used avia but never could get the answer.
    Your right Logic 7 on DSS is incredible!! 2.0 sources almost sounds like dd to me[​IMG]

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Larry,

You hit the nail on the head!I also have a ISf'd HDTV and use the Lex to switch just the S-video inputs.My component connections are direct from the source.I am still amazed at how clean DSS is being recieved.It is close to interlaced DVD.My RPTV does line double incoming signals but it was not like this with the Ref 30.Lex's claim of broadcast quality circuitry must be true!Guys could you walk me through the menu steps on how to set DTS so I do not get the small noise burst at the start of a track.

Thanks,

Steve

8. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Steve,
    "Guys could you walk me through the menu steps on how to set DTS so I do not get the small noise burst at the start of a track."
    The only way I know of to do this is to have two digital outputs (coax and/or optical) from your DVD player. Connect one digital output to the "DVD" input for all non-DTS DVDs. Connect the second digital output to a different input (i.e. "LD") for all DTS DVDs. For the "LD" input, switch the FX FORMAT to DTS ONLY.
    This is described at the bottom of page 17 of the MC-1 Owner's Manual.
    Michael

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

"Connect the second digital output to a different input (i.e. "LD") for all DTS DVDs. "

That isn't needed for DTS on DVDs... as in that case it is flagged data.

Where you get the burst of noise in on DTS music discs and DTS Laser discs. In both those discs the DTS data is 'hidden' to look like regular PCM.

Shawn