What's new

How to tell people you won't lend out your DVDs to them (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I never borrow DVDs so I never get asked. And I just say I don't lend them out anymore because last time I did I never got it back. Plus I do not broadcast how many I own anymore. They are not in plain view unlesss you open the cabinet. Only my best friends know I have a lot, and they have just as many as I do and never borrow them.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
DVD collection? What DVD collection? I Don't have a DVD collection :confused:

Oh, I am sorry. You must have heard me talking about my STD collection.:D Yes, you can have whatever you want!

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I used to brag about my DVD collection, then people started asking to borrow them.

Now I don't brag. :) It is hard, but worth it.

So No I will not lend out DVD's to anyone.

Regards

AXE

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I most definitely don't lend out dvds... anymore... unless you ask nicely. I think this thread was created for me, because I've loaned out about $400 worth of my dvds and know for a fact I won't be seeing half of that ever again. For some of you, this is small, but my collection is a mere 130 or so titles. I never try to prejudge, but I simply advise you to be selective who you loan out DVD's to. They're just items, and if people are kind and responsible (not like my goddamn friends) and you know you can count on getting your dvds back, then by all means lend them out. Of course, consider where this advice is coming from. :b

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I used to brag about my DVD collection, then people started asking to borrow them
Just brag about your hardware. And tell them that they are not allowed to borrow your tv. :D

I'm sometimes an ass. People will say that I have all that equipment and don't have any DVDs. I just smile and say yes.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I usually tell them "I don't lend any of my DVD out"
We have some funny people out there. Are you insane? Geez, a friend or relative asks to borrow a DVD and you say:
NO! I don't lend my DVDs to anyone!

What is that? If these were strangers or untrustworthy people asking to borrow your stuff, then duh, of course not. But there's no way I would tell a trusted friend or family member that they can't borrow a DVD because I...uh...well, I...uh....because I'm a freakin' lunatic who is obsessed with my DVD collection and who needs to get a life!!!

Geez, the best part of owning DVDs is showing them off and exchanging them with people. That does not mean just giving them away carelessly and keeping quiet if they come back damaged or don't come back at all.

Example: My brother borrowed three of my DVDs recently. All I said was, if you f**k these up you're buying me new ones. That was a rather clear statement of my policy in the event of damaged goods. All DVDs were returned in the condition in which they left. If he had damaged them, then he would either have had to pay me or I would not have lent him any more DVDs because I could not trust him with them.

I know people have to earn trust, but when family and friends are involved, they also have to earn distrust.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
the best part of owning DVDs is showing them off and exchanging them with people
Showing them off? Why do I want to do that? I don't need to prove myself (or my accomplishment) to others.

Besides, all of my 1000+ DVDs are the result of my hardwork and collecting since 1997. Why would I need to exchange them with other people? I want a title, just buy or rent it. If they want a title, they should do the same. I'm not "Freebie-Blockbuster."

Geez, the poster asks what you'd say if you don't want to lend your DVD out. Just answer the question minus all the preachy morality BS.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My answer is the above referenced,

"I loaned one to a friend, and it was damaged, and it really almost ruined our friendship, so I don't loan any out."

I like the idea of loaning out the backup copy, though!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Luckily, my brother and I are the only ones in my circle of family and friends who are really into Home Theater. Most of the others in our circle use Netflix or Blockbuster and some will rent movies and never even watch them. When I have a movie I really like I usually take it over to a family member's or a friend's house and watch it with them. That way I share and don't have to loan them out. During the VHS era, I can't begin to tell you how many movies I lent out and never got back. I actually paid $80.00 for a VHS copy of George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" only to have it borrowed by someone, I forgot who, and I never saw it again.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well,

If I really trusted someone, then I wouldnt mind lending... Certain people like my mother and close friends... If you tell her no, she would just tell me to be quiet and then watch it anyways... So that wouldnt do me much good anyways...

But, most people I do not lend things to... I learned that lesson during grade school...

I am not a greedy dick by any means, but I am also not going to be stupid and let people take advantage either...

If you let them, they will...

Basically, if you really dont trust someone with it, just say no... Simple as that... Dont look for sorry excuses...

I dont care... I just say sorry, I dont lend out to those people I dont really trust...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tell them:

"I can't. I have OCD, and loaning them out could set me back an entire year of therapy, and would you like to pay for that bill if that happened?"

:D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Years ago, after I got some books back severely damaged, while some are still lost, I made a written sign in my library saying "Under no circumstances do I lend out any book". It worked like a charm. Since then my friends never asked anymore (well, some did - but I only had to point to the sign) and didn't feel hurt either (apparently now it is a general, non-personally meant rule).

The sign does the trick. I now added "or DVD" to it.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks