What's new

How to tell if the program is HDTV on dish (1 Viewer)

Mike Buckles

Agent
It's very confusing on the program guide for Dishnetwork...some of the shows are marked HD and some are not...but on the ones that aren't marked HD, some of those are letterboxed, and look HDTV to me! Also, Dish's guide lists the Sopranos as HD, but according to the HBO website, it's not. (unless I'm reading it wrong...)And additionally, HBO's faq says that in the future they'll be offering DD 5.1, but I swear I've already watched a lot of DD 5.1 movies on HBO....is their faq in sad need of updating? Mike Buckles

Darold_Brins

Agent
Mike,
I am not sure of dishnetwork, but with my DirecTv DST-3000, if I am receiving an HD program I CANNOT change the aspect ratio. Like I said, I don't know if your receiver works the same way or not, but it's worth a try.
Darold "Brins" Brinley
------------------
If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

JosephV

Auditioning
HBOHD is on channel 9440 in my Dish system, while the "regular" HBO is on channel 300. The only way to get the HD HBO is to tune to that channel. You'll notice that HBO's definition of HD is not consistent - not every show is in 16x9, etc. Generally, the new release feature films are shown much as you would see on DVD, in widescreen and DD. By the way, watch the HD demo channel (9443). The Space Shuttle images are GREAT!

Robert Packman

Auditioning
While watching the Sopranos on Dish HBO HD I am sure it was HDTV..The details(of tony's shirts,the walls etc was to good not to be.if that isn't HDTV i don't what is..besides HBO states that it is being broadcast in 2 formats widescreen and regular,the widescreen is probably HDTV for 16X9..I did notice the HDTV part dosn't kick in until AFTER the opening credits..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks