What's new

How to tell dual-layered discs from single -ayered? (1 Viewer)

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering how to tell dual-layered discs from single-layered? I read the offical DVD FAQ, and it says that you can look at the gold color on the disc. Well, the problem is that this method only works on R1-discs. I have checked quite a few R2-discs which I know for sure is dual layered, but they don't have the gold color. So how can I tell one from another if I can't spot the layer change?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For a while now there have been dual layer discs that are NOT gold colored. Due to a new technique that Warner's production facility, WAMO, started. I don't know if any other production facility yet uses that technique or not. But seeing the "WAMO" stamp on a disc is a clue.
The first disc I know of that used this technique was the film version of Charlie's Angels (I emphasize here "that I know of"). That DVD was released 3/27/2001, so another clue is that the title was released to DVD after that date (check Link Removed for that info).
Many folks say you can look at the hub ring and see an ID # for each "layer", which I tend to agree with...but not 100%.
Some folks say you can hold the disc at an angle to the light and "see" both layers. Possible, but doubtful. I admit to trying to use this myself on occassion, but I don't put much stock in it.
The BEST way to check, though is to keep in mind what the DVD FAQ says about disc version capacity capabilities:
DVD-10 (12 cm, DS/SL) 8.74 gig (9.40 BB), about 4.5 hours
DVD-14 (12 cm, DS/ML) 12.32 gig (13.24 BB), about 6.5 hours
DVD-18 (12 cm, DS/DL) 15.90 gig (17.08 BB), over 8 hours
If your disc is single-sided and runs closer to 4 hours of feature than 2 hours, or has 2 hours of show but multiple language and commentary tracks, or has 2 hours of show and another 2 hours worth of supplements (documentaries, etc.), or has two versions of the show on a one-sided disc (say, one widescreen and one fullscreen)...then you can bet it's dual-layer, no matter what the tint of the disc is!
That's what I go by. If I'm wrong about any of this, then maybe someone will correct me and I'll learn something in the process. But I hope this helps.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ach, now that you mention it, I think Three Kings did beat...thanks for bringing it up.

I just don't happen to own that one.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
The only reliable thing I have experienced to determine a dual layered disc from a single layered one is my Sony DVD player which has a menu for which layer it is reading from, even (almost) the exact point of where the laser is reading.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I always check the stamped-in numbers in the middle, you can usually see 2 sets if it's dual-layer. Discs made by Sonopress make it a little harder to spot though.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Another way perhaps is to check the thickness of the disc.
Dual layered disc should be thicker than single layered.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Another way to check is by popping the disc into your DVD-ROM drive and seeing how much data is contained on it.

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
Another way to check is by popping the disc into your DVD-ROM drive and seeing how much data is contained on it.
Thanx - this method seems to work very well indeed. So simple and yet I didn't come up with it myself.

@HenrikTull: Which SonyDVD-player do you use - this is an very nice feature that your player has.
-Is their other players with the same feature - or something like it?

Anyway, thanx to all of your answers - I preciate it very much!

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
My Sony S360 has such a feature. It doesn't show the position of the laser, but it does tell you from which layer it's reading...

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I have a Sony DVP-S725D. I think most Sony DVD - players has this feature, except maybe the cheaper ones...

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Both single-layered (DVD-5) and dual-layered (DVD-9) discs are the same thickness (1.2mm), so this can't be used to distinguish between the two.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks