How to tell 4x or higher DLPs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Halen, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

I love contrast and blacks, (mainly because I love SiFi movies), and unless someone knows of a good LCD with native 16x9 res and DLP-like contrast and blacks then I think DLP is the way to go for me. Only problem? I see "rainbows". Fortunately I don't detect them as easily as Martha Stewart detects clutter! So, I'm guessing a projector that has a 4x or faster color-wheel will solve the problem...for me and any guests I might have. I just have two problems with this solution.

1. I haven't seen specs. that indicate color-wheel speed.
    2. My budget has been nudged up to $2500, anymore and my dog will starve!

I'd appreciate any lists of projectors of course. But if anyone could point me in the direction of a site that might "weed-out" the 2x colorwheel DLP's might even be better and less bothersome for you guys. Thanks for any help! BTW, the reason I was able to bump up my budget is because I got an awesome deal on my AXIOM speaker setup!! If yall get a chance check out their "Factory Outlet" section at their site for some sweet deals! To top it off, call them up and they'll give you their 5% discount on top of the "Outlet" price if you get an HT setup!

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Hmm. There aren't a lot of DLP's in that price range with high contrast and 4x or 5x colorwheel speeds, especially in 16:9. All within that price range will be the 848x480 type, not the 1280x720.

At $2999, there's the Infocus ScreenPlay 110. There's the $1999 Plus Piano HE-3100, but the contrast is no better than a good LCD, the lamp lasts 1000 hours, and there's no zoom.

3. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

If you're intent on DLP and the 4x or 5x color wheels (as am I for my next PJ), you'll have to wait a bit at that budget. I don't think any of the the 4:3 units with high speed color wheels have even cracked the $3k street price yet, but the competitive pressure is starting to push them close. Some HD2 models are in the $6k range now and there have been hints at some aggressive pricing on the 4:3 models as fall approaches with CEDIA and a new round of models. Word is that HP may have some interesting new models soon.

4. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be using my tv for a while longer it seems.

Technology's price is always comming down and something better is always on the horizon. But as far as this is concerned I'd rather wait untill something viewable hit's my price range than to buy something current and (at least for me) be unviewable.

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I'm not sure it's as simple as the speed of the wheel. I recall reading projector reviews that mention additional circuitry/algorithms to deal with the rainbow effect. There's also different wheel designs, with more segments, and some have variations in color, like a white segment, which may influence your experience of rainbow.

I have no idea how effective these other techniques are, but it's something to look into.

6. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

The only one I can think of is the sharp dt-200. It goes for 2500.00 local retail now, has a 5x six segment color wheel, 4:3 native but only 800 x 600. contrast 1200 and ansi 600 lumens. Go to www.projectorcentral.com , they did a review on it along with the long throw version xv-z90.