What's new

How to tame a sub's response (1 Viewer)

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I am just starting to look into EQ'ing the sub I am building. The question is, Is and EQ such as the ART 351 good enough to tame the peaks of a Blueprint 1503 Sonosub or is a Feedback Destroyer needed for the job?

The Art 351 along with a test tone CD and a SPL meter seems like it would be the simplest and cheapest way to flatten the response of the sub.

TedO

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A graphic eq is pretty coarse for dealing with room eq, a BFD is much more precise and flexible, only $129.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
What about software costs? Or can you just graph out the peaks with the SPL meter and test CD?

TedO

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There are no software costs with the BFD or with simpler analog parametric EQs. Perhaps you mean software spectrum analyzer programs?

You can definitely get improvements with something like the ART. I EQ’d my system with 1/3-octave octave equalizers and have been very happy with the results. However, when I recently took 1/6-octave readings I found there were problems between the 1/3-octave filters that my EQs just couldn’t get to. Bottom line, you will get the most precise equalization with a parametric equalizer, as Jack suggested.

Although it is more time consuming, a meter and test disc with 1/6-octave test tones (like the Stryke disc) will give excellent results.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all, looks like I'll be getting a Feedback Destroyer.

The links make it look fairly easy to setup and correct any problems with the output of the sub.

TedO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks