What's new

How to swap Dual-Voice-Coil driver with Single-Voice--Coil driver? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hi, I recently purcahsed an Original SVS driver hoping to swap it with the driver in my existing sub...

The probelm is that my existing sub has a dual-voice coil, when the SVS driver is a single coil.

Right now i have it hooked up like this:

Reciever is connected to a 2Ch Car subwoofer Xover (Im using this for its 10dB Bass Boost) with a Y-Splitter.

The Xover is connected to my PreAmp with 2 audio cables (Basic L/R red/black cables).

Preamp to amp

Amp to Subwoofer (Left and Right Speaker connection)

With the single voice coil would i simply just not use the Y Splitter from the SubOUT and just hook it up the same but with only one signal?

Thanks...

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Is the driver wired parallel to the mono/bridged amp? Or is it a 2 channel amp with each channel going to one voice coil?

I don't see a need for the Y adapter. It would only affect the quality of the sound, and the subout on the receiver is mono anyways. Unless the car audio crossover requires 2 RCAs in?

So you should use SINGLE audio interconnects cable

mono sub rca out on receiver goes to crossover

crossover goes to prepro

prepro goes to mono or bridged amp

speaker wire connects amp to driver (black/red)

The wiring of the new sub should be a lot easier than the previous driver. (No parallel wiring needed)

If you are using a bridged amp right now, you don't need both the left/right RCA interconnect. Only the "left" rca side.

Sorry if I confuse you, I don't have enough info to be sure what's going on.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, my amp is a basic stereo amp...
Or is it a 2 channel amp with each channel going to one voice coil?
That is how i have it setup.
I used two coz the car audio Xover had two inputs, i was thinking that using both would increase the amount of bass boost it gave.
Thanks alot for the info, ill be using just a single audio connection rather than running 2 in parallel...
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks