How to stuff my 3.0 cubic foot sub box?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSpoon, Feb 15, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Slowly but surely, making progress on my sub project.

Bought everything thru parts express, the 3.0 cubic foot 1" thick MDF box, 250 watt plate amp, and 12" DVC Dayton.

What do I do for "stuffing the box"? I have some 1.5 inch foam (which I also got from parts express) that I can line the interior with, but do I line the entire interior, one wall, two, etc.?? Or, do I run over to Walmart and get some of that white stuffing stuff?? [​IMG]

Any help greatly appreciated as my vinyl is showing up today, so, should be able to get that part of it done.

Steve

2. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

You put the foam on the walls of the enclosure, cover all of them. Then if you would like you can stuff it with a bit of polyfill, but you most likely won't need any or much. All polyfill does is trick the sub into thinking its in a bigger box by slowing the waves (actually more complicated, but thats the jist of it). I personally think 3 cubes is plenty big, and all you'll need is foam.

3. SteveSpoon

Thanks Jason. [​IMG]

But would be the person of the foam? Dampen the sound waves? Thanks.

Steve

4. SteveSpoon

I guess you could tell I was in a hurry to get to work!!

What I meant to ask was, what is the purpose of the foam? To dampen the sound waves? Make the box "bigger"? Thanks.

Steve