What's new

How to stop things from loading on startup... (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
How does one go about doing this. I am using Win98 and tons of things load up on startup that are not in the startup folder. I have looked all over trying to find out why these things load up, and how to stop them. I have tried the win.ini, autoexec.bat, display.ini. I want some of these things to stop loading. Please help. Thank you.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Click on the Start button, then Run, then type into the box msconfig
When the window has opened you'll see a tab called Startup. In there you'll see all the apps that load during boot. Tick and untick you heart's content :)

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
is this different for windows 2000? i typed in msconfig and i get some crap about how it cannot find it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Msconfig doesn't exist in 2000 (but is back in XP!). In 2000 you'll need to right-click on My Computer, select Manage and then go into the Services option. You'll see loads of stuff in there, most of which you wont need to touch, but you should find what you're looking for.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Here's another place to look:
It involves editing the registry. If you are not comfortable with this then don't do it! Use at your own risk!
Click Start->Run and type Regedit
Traverse the folders (by clicking the '+') down to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion and then highlight 'Run'. Everything in the right menu is what runs on start up. Right-click and Delete what you don't need. If you're not sure whether you need it or not, leave it alone!
This works for Win95/98/NT/2000.
------------------
Home Theater Pics
Home Built MAME cabinet
[Edited last by Andy_S on November 07, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Some of the things that load at start up can be turned off in their own control panel or app, depending on what it is that's loading.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Denward

Supporting Actor
Here's a site dedicated to this topic. I bookmarked this a while ago but I haven't really looked at it much. I think it even tries to decipher some of the cryptically named startup items. Good luck. I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks of this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks