1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop things from loading on startup...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Burke, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    How does one go about doing this. I am using Win98 and tons of things load up on startup that are not in the startup folder. I have looked all over trying to find out why these things load up, and how to stop them. I have tried the win.ini, autoexec.bat, display.ini. I want some of these things to stop loading. Please help. Thank you.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Click on the Start button, then Run, then type into the box msconfig
    When the window has opened you'll see a tab called Startup. In there you'll see all the apps that load during boot. Tick and untick you heart's content [​IMG]

3. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

is this different for windows 2000? i typed in msconfig and i get some crap about how it cannot find it.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Msconfig doesn't exist in 2000 (but is back in XP!). In 2000 you'll need to right-click on My Computer, select Manage and then go into the Services option. You'll see loads of stuff in there, most of which you wont need to touch, but you should find what you're looking for.

5. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Here's another place to look:
    It involves editing the registry. If you are not comfortable with this then don't do it! Use at your own risk!
    Click Start->Run and type Regedit
    Traverse the folders (by clicking the '+') down to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion and then highlight 'Run'. Everything in the right menu is what runs on start up. Right-click and Delete what you don't need. If you're not sure whether you need it or not, leave it alone!
    This works for Win95/98/NT/2000.
    ------------------
    Home Theater Pics
    Home Built MAME cabinet
    [Edited last by Andy_S on November 07, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Some of the things that load at start up can be turned off in their own control panel or app, depending on what it is that's loading.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Here's a site dedicated to this topic. I bookmarked this a while ago but I haven't really looked at it much. I think it even tries to decipher some of the cryptically named startup items. Good luck. I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks of this site.