How to Stop the Rattling (New SVS Owner)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RonM, Oct 6, 2001.

1. RonM

RonM Extra

Received my Avia disc and took a quick look at the sub section for calibrating my new Ultra. I was playing one of the tones on Avia last night for the subs. I had the volume up a bit (still not distorted) and I had glass and pictures rattling all over the place. I didn't have time to find all my problems as the family wanted to watch our movie so I've got to go back and isolate my loose items. What does everyone do for pictures and other items which can not be removed from the room?
    Tx

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Blue tack [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

[​IMG] a common problem with the SVS line. Damn them! [​IMG]
    What I and others use is a product called Blu-Tac (or one of it's competitors). It's basically a sticky putty. You'll sometimes see it marketed to hang posters on walls without marring the walls. I use it behind pictures, etc, to prevent their rattling. Another thing I use it for is under my center speaker which is on top of my entertainment center, it allows me to let my center overhang without sliding off (It's angled down).

4. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar problem.... when I ran it down, I found a lot of the rattling coming from the scrims (or whatever they are called) around the recessed lights in my ceiling. I found by moving those around, I could get them to a point with no noise.
    Like Jeff Said, Damn those SVS subs! [​IMG]
    dave

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

How about the DOOR. I have to tuck a piece of paper between the door and the wall to keep it quiet.
    --
    Holadem - 20-39PC

6. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

I had problems with an ornamental tea pot my wife had in the kitchen. The top was loose and would rattle around. I ended up putting a thin ring of cotton between the top and the pot.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

That's funny... LOL. Those SVS will definitely find loose items and what ain't loose, will be after a few movies!
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

8. RonM

RonM Extra

So I see I am not alone. Guess I better find a good supply of blu-tack, find some time when the wife is not around to crank up the sub and start tacking.
    I guess it's a good problem to have...never had a sub before so I can't compare it to anything else but the SVS is something else.

9. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Anyone here have an AVR with a Bass Peak Level Limiter? My Onkyo 989 has this feature.
    The instructions say to raise the volume to the point where the sound becomes distorted and then back it off until it returns to normal. This becomes the setting for the limiter.
    When I try this, I have so much stuff rattling that I can't tell if there's any distortion or not! I once hit the excursion limits on the sub trying to do this.. so have been leery of taking it very far.
    I guess Onkyo didn't plan on anyone using a SVS with their receivers!
    How do you guys set this up?
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on October 07, 2001 at 01:28 PM]

10. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I had a problem with my doorknob rattling, i usually just throw a shirt or piece of clothing on it when i watch a movie to keep it from rattling. That seems to work best cause i don't feel like installing a new doorknob.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection