How to stop a puppy from whining at night...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul_Fisher, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Does anyone have advice on how to stop a puppy from whining ALL NIGHT LONG? My wife and I got a puppy a few weeks ago and for awhile she was fine at night. But now as soon as we put her up for the night, she starts whining. At night we keep her in the laundry room with a baby gate that prevents her from getting out. My wife and I have ignored her the entire time she does this hoping she will learn that whining will not get her anything, but she doesn't stop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

We've always had our new puppies sleep beside our bed in a cardboard box with an old blanket in it. That's really the only sure-fire way to stop the whining. Dogs are pack animals and don't want to be alone -- especially as pups. Our 4-month old Golden Retriever now has run of the house at night but this took care of any midnight whining and kept him from having any accidents at night as most dogs won't go where they sleep.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I always heard if you put an old windup alarm clock in their bed the ticking tends to quiet them. Have never tried it myself.

4. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Also a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel will comfort them.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Why have them locked up at night?

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Paul,

A kennel is the answer. It resembles a cage (but don't call it that to the puppy). We used one to train our lab, and sometimes she would sleep in it when not forced in there, it was her little haven. We kept a blanket over top of it so it gave her some privacy. And she never peed or pooped in it.

We never punished her by putting her in her kennel, and kept it a positive experience by keeping toys, a pillow, a blankie, whatever in there. At night we said in a upbeat tone, "Abbey, go in your kennel!" and she'd march right in there and lay down. Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot!

9. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Paul, Rick's crate suggestion tracks my experience exactly.

The only difference is I didn't do the blanket on top thing. I heard that some dogs like the feeling of being in a little cave, so I built a storage box that fits on top. I keep her stuff in there (like her backpack, toys, pickup bags, grooming stuff, treats, even some food).

Box closed

Box open

-j

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Paul -

I agree with what everyone has said so far, we have had 4 dogs and none of them whined at night (usually [​IMG]). Dogs are pack animals, they want to sleep as close to you (the alpha) as possible. Putting them somewhere else at night is a huge reprimand for a dog. They can get used to it, but they naturally want to sleep with the pack.

I would suggest a kennel or put out a training pad in the corner by your bed. They sell scented pads that puppies like to pee on and they will usually go to the same corner every night. There will be accidents, but if you can raise a puppy without a single clean up I'd love to see it.

Just let the pup sleep in your room, at least until 4-6 months old.

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

We went to putting the dog in their kennel at the foot of hte bed (raised) so they could see us from bed. Works well.

12. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

A kennel is the best way to go, especially if you can get a "roof" on it. Dogs like to have a solid object over their heads, it make them feel comfortable. I've heard its because they know that nothing can approach them from that angle while sleeping. My lab likes to crawl under the coffee table.

13. Michael St. Clair

Crate by the bed, absolutely essential.

14. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

15. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm going to stop by the pet store after work and get a kennel and put that by our bed for the next month or so, hopefully that will get her to stop.

Again thanks![​IMG]

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm filing this under "Learn Something New Every Day..."

thanks guys! [​IMG]

17. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Jay, cool idea with the storage box. Anyone with a puppy knows there are always too many toys laying around with no good place to put them. Plus the ubiquitous clean-up and stain removal supplies.

18. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Thanks, Lee! I'm happy with it, except for the fact that I made it out of MDF -- it's too darn heavy.

I might put legs on it and turn it into a coffee table so I can make a new one out of plywood.

-j

19. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Our dog whined as well. We kept her in a crate in the living room. We dealt with the whining for a bit but then just let her sleep in our room without the crate. Any damage would be to our room only. She didn't ever do anything, we just made sure we took her out right before bed.

Also, she was in the crate while we were at work and learned to control her bladder pretty fast.

Now, the pack sleeps together. No need to take the hardline with a dog when they are young but CHILDREN, that's a different story!