What's new

How to stop a barking dog (1 Viewer)

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Shane, that's cool. I'd love to hear the details on how a person keeps a large cat as a pet.

Update on the dog, she is doing much better. She didn't bark all night last night after we worked with her all day yesterday. I think she's getting the picture! Thank you all for your help and advice. It's going to be nice to have a relatively quiet house again.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to hear the details on how a person keeps a large cat as a pet
apparently a lot of people have the teeth and claws removed so it can't hurt them as bad. The things people do to animals just so they can look at them in a cage is ridiculous. Not saying he does this, but it's a huge problem. Too many idiots have a hard on for having a dangerous animals in a cage.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just one remark.
If you want your dog's respect, never do anything cruel to her. It may help getting you feared, but never respected. The dog may even grow mean.

Cees

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I had a wonderful Lab who never barked - when I was home. As soon as we both left though my neighbors reported insane barking. They called me at work to proove it. YIKES! (he was seldom alone as my wife is stay-at-home mom.)

I got one of those zappin collars. It was a godsend. My lab was very intelligent and figured out in short order what it was all about.

Now if I could only get my neighbor to wear one too we'd all be happy...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Shane, that's cool. I'd love to hear the details on how a person keeps a large cat as a pet.
Why not ask this nut:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/06/nyregion/06TIGE.html

Why anyone in their right mind would want a 400lb tiger as a pet is beyond me. Let alone in an apartment in Harlem. Aside from the cruelty involved, tiger's cannot be tamed (only trained) as poor old Roy of Siegfred and Roy found out last week. I would have thought owning such an endangered animal outside of a zoo or nature reserve would have been illegal anywhere.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
If you want your dog's respect, never do anything cruel to her.
Never have, never would. I love my dog.

I am enthralled with large cats. They are amazing animals. I had my picture taken with, and got to pet, a baby tiger a year ago. That little sucker was only ~40 some odd pounds and could already do extreme damage to a person if it wanted to. It's growl was terrifying even at that young age. I would not want to encounter one in the wild, let alone it's parents.

I would never own one as a pet, but I like to read about how others do it. I don't approve of physically altering it or keeping it in a small cage. But if people have the money and want to create a habitat for them, like Siegfred and Roy, I don't have a problem with it if they treat them well. They shouldn't be surprised when their pet tries to kill them, though.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I wanted to second Eric's comment. My adopted border collie/springer spaniel mix had a bad case of separation anxiety (especially wrt barking) when I first got her and again when I moved to a new apartment. I used to think that electric no-bark collars were cruel and I didn't use one the first time my dog was having separation anxiety (it took her about 3 weeks to get used to the new 'home' after lots of me leaving-for-5 or 10 minute type exercises). When I moved to a new apartment the new neighbors were much less understanding than my old neighbors (as in someone left an anonymous threatening note under a brick on my patio) and I had to either try the collar or move out. I 'supervised' the first few times she used the no-bark collar by pretending to leave and just sitting on the steps outside of my apartment. It took a whopping two barks before she figured out what the collar meant, and now when I leave she goes right to sleep in her crate. The collar was an absolute godsend, I feel so much better about leaving her alone knowing that she's just going to relax and take a nap instead of getting all hyper-anxious and worried. Now people say you're not supposed to leave them unsupervised while wearing it, but I've never had a problem with doing it and she only has to wear it for a few weeks after I move (which I do about every two years as a student).

So if anyone's dog is having seperation anxiety, you may want to look into this as an interim solution until the dog settles down.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
It's been another week and our dog is doing much, much better. The barking has all but stopped. Thank you Jay for your excellent suggestion, and to everyone else for your suggestions as well. If anyone else has similar problems, I encourage you to try this. I think the key is getting everyone in the family to help out - even the kids have pitched in, and we're really seeing results.

Thanks again...

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks