What's new

How to start my PC remotely? (1 Viewer)

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
My motherboard supports pressing the Enter key to startup my PC. Now I have a cordless keyboard on it which works great except that I've lost the ability to just press Enter to startup. I have an IRman on it as well but both devices require the computer to be running to accept a command. How can I start the PC remotely?

Westly T

Second Unit
I use X10 equipment and a pronto, so the solution for me was easy. I used a universal module and connected the contacts to the power switch jumpers. I have the IR interface so I just hit a button on my pronto and the PC is powered on. I had the module laying arround and used a 1/8 stereo headphone jack installed in a slot cover with a 1/8 cable so it can easily be disconnected. I cut off the other end of the 1/8 cable and connected it to the module. I used the two tip connections of the plug so neither of the jumper pin wires would be grounded to the case.
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_um506.htm

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
Great idea! But is the universal module a momentary contact type of device? The power button on the computer is momentary so that it toggles the power state of the computer with alternate presses. If the module isn't, do you send multiple x10 commands to do the toggle or what?

[EDIT]: Oops, should've checked out the link before I asked. I'm going to order one right away.

Westly T

Second Unit
There is a switch on the module that lets you select momentary or on/off operation. Mine is set to momentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks