What's new

How to Spend Dad-in-law's Money?? (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
[c]HAPPY THANKSGIVING!![/c]
Wow! I never thought it would happen! My father-in-law came to me, knowing my predilection for spending my $ on HT gear, and asked me how I would spend $3,000 on equipment.
Of course, I asked his needs. All he wants is a receiver, and cd player and 2 tower speakers. They will be used strictly for audio use.
My head was spinning! $3000 on 3 components...the possibilities are limitless! Which is why I'm here!
If you had $3,000 to spend on 2 towers speakers, a receiver and a cd player...what would you buy?
He's going to audition an Marantz cd player, NAD receiver and Acoustic Research towers. He didn't remember any model numbers, but of course I question if that's the best he can do.
Please send recommendations...help me look like the hero! :)
Zach

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Denon 3803 or H/K 525 about $1000.00
Onix Rocket RS 750 about $1400.00 here.
Sony Megachanger $200.00 to $600.00
That's one of about a hundred ideas you'll get. :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Zach,

I wouldnt go the same way you are asking, but what I would do with $3000 in an audio setup is,

Receivers
Marantz SR7300 $900
OR Harman Kardon AVR525

Speakers
AXIOM M80 $1100

Subwoofer
SVS 20-39PC+ $825

I know I added the sub, but thats what I do if I had $3000 for an audio setup.

Hope this helps,
Pablo

DanaA

Screenwriter
Sounds like a fun project for you to help out in. I don't know what NAD you're looking at, but, if he wants 2 channel sound, I'd definitely look for a two channel system. In other words, you'd be wasting money to go for a 5 channel NAD. Also, you might want to look at separates or an integrated amp for that kind of money. Which ones would depend on his taste in music and speakers. For instance, if he wanted a sweet, warm sound, tubes or a hybrid amp might be best. But, he'd have to put up with the hassle of tube equipment and find a relatively sensitive pair of speakers, depending on how loud he plays his music. I guess what I'm saying is I'd start by auditioning speakers with music he is familiar with, then work toward finding what other equipment best complimented his speakers of choice.

Still, this sounds like fun. By the way, I'd go over to Audio Asylum and post there as they are focused on two-channel gear.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If he is looking strictly for stereo audio performance, I would base the system around a solid 2 channel amp maybe from Parasound, Adcom, or possibly the new Outlaw Monoblocks coming out (as well as others). Get a decent stereo pre-amp then spend the rest on a CD player. Find out if he is looking for a single disc, 5 disc, or jukebox and then narrow down your selections from there.
You might also want to look into getting him SACD capability as well, seeing he might not want to upgrade for some time after laying out this amount of money. Sony ES has some nice 5 disc units (222es or 555es). If SACD takes off and he is left in the cold, he will be cursing you the rest of his life :)
As for speakers, he really should be the one to choose them based on the sound characteristics he likes. It might be fun for you and him to go out one weekend and audition speakers at different stores in your area. Good Luck.
J

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I guess I'd ask if he MAY go to 5 channel later. If not than WOW you have $3K to spend on some sweet 2 channel gear! If so then look at the receivers and such like denon or whatever. But I wouldn't be looking at Denon or Marantz receivers for a 2 channel setup. I'd look at Rotel maybe a pre-amp and a nice 2 channel amp. And get some nice towers. I like the Axiom M80's they are nice towers. Look at paradigm studio 100's, maybe B&W CDM line.

george king

Supporting Actor
I would have Brian Bunge build a pair of AV-3 (www.rutledgeaudiodesign), in the real wood veneer of your choice for $1250. Then get a tube preamp - maybe the Dodd for about $800. For a CD player, you could get an Arcam or Rotel. Or you could get a Sony 555ES SACD player.

Sreeni

Grip
May be some more info on
1. Room Size - You could look at planars etc. too
2. What type of music? Classical, Organ, Rock, Jazz etc. ;)
3. will he want HT later in same setup?
4. Are you also looking at used..
This may help the experts on this forum to aid you better..
Good luck,
Sreeni

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd sit down with him and help him/you understand what his preferences are and perhaps what it is that either he or his o/h have in the way of 'no, no, no, that JUST won't work'. Does he have a preference for a changer or does he like the approach of a reciever doing it all or does he like larger speakers...wood finish, black finish. What about a sub? SVS just too big...would he prefer one from the same manufacturer as his speakers? What's the room like where he'll be doing his listening? The important thing I think is him figuring himself out and meeting his expectations rather than yours, mine or anyone elses. So take him around and take some time and never forget that a couple of beers at the end of the browsing experience helps put things in perspective.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
With that type of money and no desire for HT, just music, I'd go with separates, not a receiver.
How about:
Rotel RB-1070 power amp - $700
Rotel RC-1070 preamp - $500
Magnepan MG-12 speakers - $950
Rega Planet 2000 CD player - $950
This is slightly above his budget at $3100 but with some shopping it can be brought under his limit. Check out Galen Carol Audio (gcaudio.com), I got my Planet from him for considerably under retail.

kevitra

Second Unit
Why use a receiver? Separates or a good integrated would be a better route. I highly recommend Rotel.
For speakers he has many, many choices. B&W, Dynaudio, ACI, Rocket, ........ It is not possible for any of us to know what will work for him. Of course, we can easily let you know what works for us ;) (ACI for myself).

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I nice looking, simple system that should exhibit a smooth listenable sound would be the Audio Refinement Complete system by YBA. The int. amp runs at ~$900 and the matching Cd player at ~$800. Put these together with a another good French company, Triangle speakers. You could get the Zerius new or the Antals used for right at $1000. Then you would just need to get some basic cabling.

There are a ton of combos we could throw out, but as someone mentioned above more detail are needed.

For $3000 for music only however I would certianly steer away from receivers.

Another fun option if you are interested in DIY or know someone who is good at building stuff would be a Bottlehead system. Get the Foreplay pre for $200, Parabee 300B mono tube amps for ~1700, the Straight 8 line array speakers for ~$800 and a used Rega Planet for $400.

Yogi

Screenwriter
B&K PT5 stereo preamp - $600
B&K 2140 amp - $600
Vienna Acoustics Haydn bookshelves - $900
Adire Audio Rava Sub - $400
Sony ES CD player - $400
Cables - $100

This would make one hell of 2 channel music system.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I would take the old man to a reputtablee high end shop and listen, listen, listen and listn some more. I bet he would like some Polks on an Adcom , no subs just 2 big Polks and a easy to use stereo pre-amp, no remotes, maybe on the CD player. Im sure he is not interested in hype just sommething simple that sounds good, I would put the big bucks in the speakers. .
You knoow when you think abouut it 3K is not much money for a good stereo system IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks