How to sign new credit card back?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by McPaul, Jul 1, 2005.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I remember reading something a while back, I think it was on this forum. It was about signing a credit card with "see ID" or something like that. I haven't been able to find it tonight. Is this a good idea? What about signing your credit card with an "X"?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    After a few weeks of regular use, the signature stripe will be rubbed/worn off anyway so it doesn't really matter.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I think the sig might get rubbed off, but hopefully the strip wouldn't. Working retail, I've seen a few come through with it rubbed off, and the cards were marked void under the strip.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You should definitely sign it. You can add "see ID" if you like, but it needs to at least be signed.

Accordign to Visa and Mastercard, the card is not valid unless it is signed. In addition, your signature is acknowledgement of the contract you with Visa/MC.

According to Visa, if the card is not signed (even if it just says "see ID"), then the cashier is supposed to ask for your ID to verify your identity then make you sign it right then and there. They aren't supposed to allow a transaction without a card being signed. Now, whether cashiers actually do this or not is questionable, but that's Visa's policy.

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I don't sign my cards. But I don't think it really matters if you do or don't. Yeah, Visa and Mastercard may 'officially' say the card isn't valid if it isn't signed, but I've never been asked by a cashier to sign it. I've been asked for ID, but that's OK.

Yeah, I know if I lose it whomever finds it could just sign it and then their signature would match. But if it was signed, they could just copy my signature too. So I just don't see the significance of signing or not signing the card.

But more importantly, whether or not the card is signed is becoming a moot point since at many places you scan your own card and the cashier never sees it.

6. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

When I was a cashier in a bookstore, I was told that the card had to be signed, or at least ask the customer for picture ID. Officially (?), many stores have the policy that if it is not signed, or if it says "See I.D." to refuse it. If the card is stolen, many times, the store has to eat the costs.

Many people refused to sign their cards, and I was amazed at the reasoning - "This way, no one can forge my signature." My response was, "If someone steals your wallet, they can sign it, and then the signature on the credit slip will match."

Personally, I would sign the card. Worn down quite a bit or not, it can still be read. I make it a point to praise cashiers who check the signature on the back of the card. Many don't.

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

More like: how many people's signature matches the chicken-scratch on the back of a card, and how many cashiers really compare the two to see if they match? From personal experience, I've signed for friends' credit cards and vice-versa. And with my own card, half the time I just draw a line when I go to sign. Nobody cares.

Why don't they just have people enter in a PIN # like a debit card?

8. Claudia P

Claudia P Stunt Coordinator

They do exactly that in the southern hemisphere - PINs are the norm, very rarely is a credit card charge signed for.

9. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    what about just writing an "X" or your initials?

10. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I have on the back of my Check Card "Check ID"

I do this because i want the cashier to make me get my ID out and verify that the name is the same on the card as well as my ID and then to verify also by looking at my picture on my drivers lisense and comparing it to who is giving them the card.

I know that the Post Office will not let a transaction go through if you have 'check id' or 'see id' on the back of the card. I just use my good ole' checkbook then for that transaction.

Paul

11. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

You should randomly try using a friend's ID at stores to see if your system really works, that is, when stores even bother to look at the back.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Mine is completely illegible. Yet, I've only once been asked to show ID because of it.

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Using a normal pen, sign it. With a fine-tipped sharpie, write See I.D. And keep the card in a paper protector that you can get from any bank.

I keep my cards in this deal

Metallic Wallet

Leather wallets have a tendency to expand on me, and my back hurts when I sit down. I use a money clip for cash, and keep only the essentials in my wallet.

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

My chiropractor told me to stop carrying my wallet in my back pocket. Major reduction in back pain.

15. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise to put in something like "pincode: xxxx" and use a fake pin code that's not the card (this way if you lose it and the person goes to an ATM to use the code it'll confiscate the card.

16. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    that's why I'm asking, my last card was worn off completely at the signature stripe, people were asking for ID everywhere. I use my cc for EVERYTHING, even little purchases, and then pay it down right after the purchase. I'm trying to make those transactions more efficient, not less so.

btw Dome, did you have a George Costanza wallet before you went metal? [​IMG]

17. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Mine told me the same thing. I've been carrying my wallent in my front ever since.

18. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Around here it doesn't seem to matter. You get asked for your ID no matter what [​IMG]