What's new

How to shut up a projector fan (1 Viewer)

Vance Bass

Auditioning
Real Name
Mr Busyhands
I have a noisy projector (stated 36 dB). It's not a problem when watching, say, "Independence Day", but for quiet films it becomes a bother.

I can't find any threads on muffling PJ fans. I would like to try something cheap and low-tech first, such as a diverter of some sort with high-density foam to absorb and deflect some noise away from the viewing area.

Second choice would be an isolation box for the PJ. I've seen this mentioned once, but can't find the thread and definitely haven't stumbled across plans, specs, design theories, etc.

Does anyone have some clues they can give the clueless?

Thanks!
-vance-

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I think what you are referring to is called a hushbox. I know a place where you can get a ton of info about this (you probably already know) so PM me if you would like to know. Be careful though however you choose to do this though. The fan is your friend. Keep in mind that the louder the fan than generally the more cooling the fan is doing. Thus bulb life increases. Also check the filters on you FP. Often if they get gummed up the fan will run louder too. I think it is funny when people say how loud the fan on the 4805 is.......but what they forget is that it is not uncommon for the bulb on those to last 2,500 hours or more. Generaly in "lower priced" models of FP for every good thing there might be an equally negative thing.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
There are tons of DIY Hushbox designs you can look at on the internet (do a Google search on "projector hushbox"). The design you choose will be based on how your own particular projector vents (front, back, sides) and your particular mounting/ceiling options.

In my case, I have a suspended ceiling so I was able to build the Hushbox in such a manner that the projector can still breath very nicely into the ceiling without restriction and it also virtually eliminated light bleed.

Good luck with your project.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks