1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How to shop the net for the best prices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennyWayne, Oct 13, 2001.

1. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

Hello to all my home theater hobbiests. I have noticed how most of us come to the forum seeking help with finding the cheapiest prices for our home theater products. Hopefully this guide to shopping the net will help out.
    The first step to finding the best price is to find a good search engine. I am using cnet to find the product information, and Yahoos' shopping search engine to get the best price. I know you are wondering why not just use CNET for that. It's simple, CNET doesn't give you the cheapest price. I have found a price difference of more then three hundred dollars in some cases. Now for the test I will use the Panasonic RP-91N progressive scan dvd player. I am using it because it has a CNET rating of 9 out of a possibility of 10. I will post the review after I finish the research for prices. On CNET the Prices are listed as cheap as $428.00 with a high of $700.00. Yahoo has the price of the RP-91N listed as low as $417.00 with a high of $699.00
    Now I am using the Sony DVP-S9000ES as a example. On CNET it has a low of 1110.00 with a high of $1500.00 On Yahoo it has a low of $925.00 with a high of $1400.00 tha is a difference of a few hundred dollars. One other thing before I finish this guide. The Sony DVP-NS900V is listed at 899.00 just a few dollars cheaper then the DVP-S9000ES. Now to show you how to explain how to use Yahoos' search engine. Please be sure to go to the shopping search. It really narrows down the stores that are certified. Make sure you type in the name of the product you are looking for. If possible go and get the Yahoo plug in intergrated into your web broswer. It makes it a much faster process. There is your guide folks. I pray that it was helpful to you.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

Yahoo uses Bizrate to rate the shops online. Also Yahoo uses the best search engine in Google. Another thing you should know. My simon does the same shop network Yahoo does. Yahoo has more shops then the rest of the net. Compare them for yourself.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

5. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

6. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Oops, guess I should COMPLETELY read other replies before I post my own.

7. Dax Scott

Dax Scott Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget about DVD Player Price Search if you're looking at DVD players. It's run by the same folks who gave us DVD Price Search .
    ------------------
    Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
    Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

8. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

I just followed up on your individual search engines. None of them get you the best price the way my method does. Try it for yourself and see.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

10. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Pricescan yields the lowest prices that I've seen. And if SEARS has it, I usually price match with them. SEARS has changed their pricematching practice. I'm not sure if it's on all products or HDTVs only. But I used PS to price match a Panasonic PVDV-400 back in May that lists for $999. Local retailers wouldn't even budge a penny on their list price. I found it for $579 (+ tax) through PS! SEARS matched it and I saved a bundle.
    If you're an HTPCer or like to build your own PCs, you should check out PriceWatch to find the lowest prices on hardware.
    Finally, if you find a low price from an unknown audio etailer and would like to know their rep, you can check out their reliability through Audio Survey.
    Happy Hunting!
    [Edited last by AllenD on October 14, 2001 at 02:15 PM]

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I will second the pricewatch.com recommendation fro PC equipement. Hands down the best out there.
    --
    Holadem

12. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

No I am not trying to prove my method is the best. However I am saying it really pays off to do your research. Now just by posting this bit of information I know more about internet merchants that I've never used. So now I say thank you for the information.

13. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You're welcome [​IMG] As for your comment about the importance of research, I couldn't agree more. I've seen people pay more for used equipment on eBay than some retailers would charge for the same unit new. Never fails to amaze me.

14. KennyWayne

KennyWayne Extra

Yeah that is very disturbing to see someone waste money like that. I for one wait till the last minute to purchase anything because I want to know what consumers think about it. The RP91 is one piece of equipment that has been bashed and trashed. I really wanted to add it to my collection because I have the flag ship model technics SA-DA10 Reciever. It was designed with DVD-Audio in mind. After I did more then a month of research I found out it was indeed a great purchase for anyone. That said Research is everything these days. Thing is most people are to lazy to look for bargains.