How to ship large, heavy items

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dan D., Oct 19, 2004.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    My dad has generously decided to give me a bunch of his woodworking equipment. Problem is, he's in Minneapolis and I'm in Boston. I'm trying to figure out how to get the stuff out here as cheaply as possible. Basically, I think there will be one large box/crate about 2'x2'x6' weighing about 200 lbs., and maybe two smaller boxes, maybe 2'x2'x2' max, anywhere from 20 to 60 lbs.

Driving out there and back is just not an option with my schedule these days. I really know nothing about how freight works. I can drop it off (I'll be in MN in a couple of weeks for a visit) and pick it up at any shipping terminal pretty easily so I don't have any special pick-up or delivery needs. I'm not in a hurry to get this stuff so time isn't critical.

Any suggestions on a cost-effective way to do this? Any suggestions on shippers? Do moving companies take stuff like this on trips where they have extra space in trucks? Thanks for any advice

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

If you can get it on a pallet and deliver to a local freight terminal shouldnt cost too much. ABF freight comes to mind.

Here is a link to get a quote, note $20 discount on both ends if you drop off and pick up at the terminal.

ABF Freight Quote

I put in your dimensions from my zip(Indy) to Boston and it was just over $120.

3. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

You might want to try out yellow freight also. Shipped a couple motorcycles using them and was very pleased. They seem to have decent prices too.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

greyhound bus will be your cheapest, they have rate quotes on their website.

5. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Yellow Freight has a terminal in Abington, MA. I just had a set of car seats shipped up from OH and they dropped em on a pallet and shrink wrapped em...I drove right up the the bay door and loaded em up.

Have dad strap everything to a pallet and have Yellow do a residential pickup.

6. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The Greyhound idea sounds pretty good, but they have a 100 lb. limit on individual items. I'm not sure that will work for me but I'll see how this stuff disassembles. I'll also look at the ABF and Yellow options. I just need to figure out if this stuff needs to be crated or whether it can just be strapped to a pallet.