How to shield a speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSG, Jan 23, 2002.

1. JohnSG

JohnSG Auditioning

I have a couple of old speakers and just got a large PTV. My speakers are now next to the TV since my room is small. How can I shield these nice old speakers so that they would not affect my PTV? Also would a non shielded speaker damage PTV? Thanks, John

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I had the same question a long time ago when I first got into this. A few products were mentioned (that I can't begin to remember). What I do remember is that it was expensive and definitly not worth the effort.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. JohnSG

JohnSG Auditioning

Thanks for the infor, I guess it's not worth the trouble. Can someone tell me if none shielded speakers would cause damage to the PTV tube?

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Yes, a non-sheilded speaker will cause damage. I used a non-sheilded speaker for my center channel for a month and a multi-colored splotch started to develop on the screen. When I would move the speaker around, it would affect the splotch - so I knew it was the speaker causing it. When I got rid of that speaker and replaced it with a real center channel, the splotch remained. I think that problem can be fixed - but why get it to begin with.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if your speaker(s) is not shielded, do NOT put it near the tv. period! end of discussion! [​IMG]